Battery Eater !

FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited May 11, 2010 in Cameras
It seems odd that my 5D is eating batteries the way that is . My one set of batteries may have seen there better days but would wonder what may be the problem if that was not so. Brand new batteries may be bad as well. Bought 2 brand new Phottix 511A's died in one week with camera sitting in off position.
Let me know if there is any problems that you may know of -would be appreciated.

Thanx: Brady :dunno
Dad/Photograher:ivar

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 10, 2010
    Unusual. I have Canon batteries in my 5DmkII and they seemingly last forever.

Not familiar with the knock-off brands of batteries but is the current rating for the battery the same as the OEM?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 10, 2010
    Freezframe wrote: »
    It seems odd that my 5D is eating batteries the way that is . My one set of batteries may have seen there better days but would wonder what may be the problem if that was not so. Brand new batteries may be bad as well. Bought 2 brand new Phottix 511A's died in one week with camera sitting in off position.
    Let me know if there is any problems that you may know of -would be appreciated.

Thanx: Brady ne_nau.gif

Are you using a vertical grip attachment?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    Yes I am !! -Ziggy!
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Are you using a vertical grip attachment?
    Yes I am using a grip! But that is the same with every body I've ever owned.

Brady headscratch.gif
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    The grip could have gone bad, or it could be a knock off grip that sucks juice even when the camera is off.

Try the camera without a grip and see if the batteries still drain. If so, ditch the batteries.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 10, 2010
    Like John said, the grip may have gone bad.

Try the camera and battery alone, without the grip. If that stops the problem you know where the problem exists.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 10, 2010
    That's interesting!
    Thank you John and Ziggy for your replies !

Now that I think about it the problem arose when I traded a filter for a Phottix grip.This grip was installed when the problem first occurred. I have an authentic BG-E4 on it right now should know in a few days just what is going on.

Brady thumb.gif
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    I hate grips... but that's my problem.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited May 11, 2010
    I can understand that !
    JohnBiggs wrote: »
    I hate grips... but that's my problem.
    Both of my shoulders are shot so to rotate over just that little more needed for a portrait or tall shot really makes me uncomfortable. Back in the 35mm days none of my winders had shutter buttons for this purpose but the reasoning there was FPS which if I remember was only about 3 .I have a friend that is a birder hates grips with a passions. But he's walking around with a needed tripod for his 6 and 800mm lens. I call him "HATH" short for Hernia About To Happen !

Thanx again John: Bradyrolleyes1.gif