St. Louis

ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
edited July 12, 2010 in Landscapes
Hey, all I'm new to the forum. I been checking out ll your awesome photos and thought I would join. I am just beginning and all my photos are shot with a little Sony H20. I love it. I am however getting a D300S in about 2 weeks and I think I am going to love it! I am getting the 18-200 with and it and probably a 50mm too. I really don't know what I am doing and have been learning by experimenting. :D Gotta start somewhere! Anyway, I'm from St. Lois and I thought I'd post these.

dsc00182k.jpg

dsc00147eq.jpg

dsc0004756tonemapped.jpg

dsc0016453tonemapped.jpg

dsc00198199200tonemappe.jpg

dsc0001534tonemapped.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Hi and welcome to Dgrin!

These are a great set of a lovely city. You've got a little something for everyone here, which is really cool. My favorite is the second at twilight because you got the city lights along with some lingering sky light. Gorgeous, and I hope to see more from St Louis!
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Hi and welcome to Dgrin!

These are a great set of a lovely city. You've got a little something for everyone here, which is really cool. My favorite is the second at twilight because you got the city lights along with some lingering sky light. Gorgeous, and I hope to see more from St Louis!

Thanks, Schmoo! I realize I am a complete rookie and have only been shooting with a little point and shoot but all my friends and family are in love with my pics and they say I definitely have "the eye". I am REALLY excited to get my D300S in a couple weeks.:D I know my pics are NOTHING like most of the people here but I think they will be pretty soon! I will gladly share them with everyone. Thanks for commenting and your kind words!
  • gramps50gramps50 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Okay you have my curiosity up, I know there isn't a bridge that goes through the middle of the Arch. An overlook on the east side? Great shots, I like all of them.
    edited May 11, 2010
    gramps50 wrote: »
    Okay you have my curiosity up, I know there isn't a bridge that goes through the middle of the Arch. An overlook on the east side? Great shots, I like all of them.

Thanks, Gramps! Glad you like them. Yeah, there is a brand new look out on the east side. I am hoping people are seeing this "new" angle for the first time... with MY pics. :D

Here's the look out.

dsc0010012tonemapped.jpg
    edited May 11, 2010
    Here's a few more. Some of them I purposely over processed. :D I know some are noisy and not all that great. I just like experimenting. Thanks for looking everyone. I welcome all comments... good and bad. I really am excited to get a "real" camera shortly with some good glass. I hope to share some good pics with everyone soon. For now, the little Sony H20 isn't too bad for what it is. Anyway, there is some seriously good photographers on this site and I love all the pics everyone posts!

dsc00165346tonemapped.jpg

dsc0001231tonemapped.jpg

dsc0998786tonemapped.jpg

dsc09972w.jpg

dsc0016867tonemapped.jpg
    edited May 11, 2010
    ... and some more from other shoots.

dsc02891c.jpg

1xxz.jpg

dsc02911h.jpg

dsc02870ex.jpg

dsc04402a.jpg

dsc02857j.jpg

4xx.jpg

5xxr.jpg
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 11, 2010
    Great series of the Arch.

I'll have to get over and see the lookout on the eastern shore of the river.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited May 13, 2010
    I agree, great collection! I think the one of the shadow across the city is one of my favorites. thumb.gif
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    I agree, great collection! I think the one of the shadow across the city is one of my favorites. thumb.gif

I agree with Schmoo. The shadow shot is my favorite. Welcome to Dgrin.
  • gramps50gramps50 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    You have some interesting angles, I like them all and I am not sure I could pick a favorite, at 1st I thought it would be the sunset thru the Arch, then I see the shadow, then the one that makes it look like it's out in a field somewhere, now I can't pick. Nice job.

I too am going to have to go to the lookout and check it out, at least I am closer than eastern Indiana.. ;-)
    edited May 15, 2010
    Thanks, guys! I'm really glad you like some of them. I do like the variety of shots in the series. I appreciate the comments coming from great photographers like you all and I hope to learn a lot from all of you!

Gramps and Pathfinder, you two better hurry up and beat me! haha I plan on going back to the lookout in 2 weeks..... after I get my D300S. The image quality SHOULD go way up! I'm hoping anyway! I also plan on shooting some models on the look out with the city in the background. Good idea?
    edited July 10, 2010
    Thought I'd add another shot to the series. It's a little noisy but still kind of cool. :D
    dsc344.jpg
    edited July 12, 2010
    Welcome back and nice comp! You had a great vantage point for the 4th, I see. :D
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    I really like your first picture and some of the arch angles. thumb.gif Congratulations on your new purchase.
    edited July 12, 2010
    Welcome back and nice comp! You had a great vantage point for the 4th, I see. :D
    Thanks! It wasn't easy and I had to fight a massive crowd and hours of traffic to get that shot... and others. Worth it though!

dlplumer wrote: »
    I really like your first picture and some of the arch angles. thumb.gif Congratulations on your new purchase.

Thanks!!! Love the D300S. Most all of these were shot with a Sony p&s though.

The Arch can be shot from a million differnt angles but I think the first shot is my favorite too. Haven't seen that one before so I'm hoping mine is the first!

Some of the HDR shots are DEFINITELY overdone. lol It wasn't until recently that I started to tone it down some. Non photographers definitely love that overdone stuff though. mwink.gif