Canon EOS Rebel T2i or Nikon D5000

mattnugemattnuge Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited May 12, 2010 in Cameras
I'm a beginner to digital photography and I caught a little of the digital photography bug. I've been looking at two cameras, the Canon EOS Rebel T2i and the Nikon D5000. Both of these seem comparable to each other, so I thought I'd ask on here and see if anyone has either of these cameras and can vouch for either one. For right now, I will probably be using the camera outdoors, taking nature/ocean shots (I surf a lot) and action shots at various triathlons and cycling events I attend.

So the question is:
Based on where I plan on use the camera:
1) Can you recommend either camera and why?
2) Are there other cameras I should be looking at?

My budget is $1,200 or less, preferably close to the $1,000 range.

Thanks

Comments

• PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    Well if there's ANY chance that you'd want to shoot HD video, the T2i is the best choice. Nikon just hasn't figured out video quite yet.

I don't know enough about either to make any further comments, except to say I have 2 canon 40d and a Canon 7d and have been 100% satisfied with them. The T2i is just a small step below the 7d and you really don't lose much on the still photo end. Matter of fact I nearly got the T2i instead of the 7d, but wanted a little better video as well as the more professional look of the camera.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    This is a great review:
    http://dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/

They get compared side by side too.

It's a tough choice and I think it really comes down to whether you want movie or not. Otherwise, both are pretty equal. If it were my choice, I would go with the t2i for the better ISO, better LCD, 18MP resolution, and HD movie. It's up to you.

The D5000 is also cheaper, so if you are on a budget, get the cheaper body with a better lens.

With DLSRs you have to keep in mind that the body is only a part of the equation. To take advantage of DSLRs, you need a good lens. Whatever body you choose, you should get the best lens you can possibly get in your price range.

Considering that, you should probably get something cheaper like the Canon Rebel XSI and then put a great lens like the 15-85mm zoom lens on it. That would be my choice.
  • mattnugemattnuge Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 11, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, Eclipsed, for the review page.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote: »
    This is a great review:
    http://dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/

They get compared side by side too.

It's a tough choice and I think it really comes down to whether you want movie or not. Otherwise, both are pretty equal. If it were my choice, I would go with the t2i for the better ISO, better LCD, 18MP resolution, and HD movie. It's up to you.

The T2i (550D) is the one I would pick (but I'm Canon biased!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Rebate right now (until early June) in the US on the Canon T2i and T2i with tele lenses.

The teles are not Canon's best, no IS on the 70-300. The 55-200 is light for travel but again not as good as other lenses, not as expensive either.

http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/software/camera/eos_7d_t2i_rebate_poster_april10.pdf