Herd of This?

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited May 11, 2010 in Landscapes
Fooling around trying to get an autochrome look.

799-j-ac-1448.jpg
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 11, 2010
    Pretty close - see here - photography museum/autochromeclatworthy.html
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Pretty close - see here - photography museum/autochromeclatworthy.html

I'll get there. I'll have to start looking for subject matter that will go with the effect.

Photography Museum

The 8-9 hour series about Albert Kahn's Archive of the Planet has been inspiring. I have three more hours to study.

Here's another stab at it.
    401-ac-trees-1600.jpg

Not quite the right shot for it though.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    I know next to nothing about autochrome, but the main thing that throws it off for me is the digital noise. I like the look, but the pixelated color just takes away from the effect a bit.

Care to share your workflow?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Love the title! I think the colors are great for that look, but +1 on the noise.

I'd love to know how you're doing this, too. I've been experimenting with getting a vintage or cross-processed look, and all I know so far is that it takes a bazillion layers in PS. :D
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    rustic wrote: »
    I know next to nothing about autochrome, but the main thing that throws it off for me is the digital noise. I like the look, but the pixelated color just takes away from the effect a bit.

Care to share your workflow?

It's all about the noise. I believe autochrome was the first color photography available, done with dyed potato starch. The problem I'm having is getting the noise to be more random, getting away from the eveness of digital.
    schmoo wrote: »
    Love the title! I think the colors are great for that look, but +1 on the noise.

I'd love to know how you're doing this, too. I've been experimenting with getting a vintage or cross-processed look, and all I know so far is that it takes a bazillion layers in PS. :D

So far that's about it, lots of layers, and I haven't got anything twice in a row from the same process. I've just been fooling with it here-n-there and really need to find a shot where it will be a good fit. A lot of the good stuff I've seen has been in images with people dressed in brightly-colored clothes. I think I can get something I really like either working with fields of flowers or buildings.

Here's one that looked good to a point, then seemed to slip off the guage:
    799-r7101w-v3-ac.jpg

The poppies lost the look I wanted. I think I know what happened, but I want to try it over with a building with some harder light.

-
    Anybody can do it.