1st "candid portrait" with a decent lens

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited August 17, 2005 in People
so here is what i wanted - a lens so that i can take "portrait type candids of my daughter before she gets too old.. and doesnt even want me around anymore ( i hate teenagers ) anyway after a brief discussion with Andy i did the opposite, i went with the canon 135 f2L. Anyway i rushed home before the sun went down and took my 1st picture.... im not sure what to think... the exif data seems to have gotten lost but you guys / gals are "pros" ...
am i on the right track? does this look like the way its "expected" to work?

i know i have learning to accomplish with dof and shadows and lightining but is the equipment looking ok????

any help advice using this lens is greatly appreciated

troy
32401660-L.jpg

Comments

• KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    It's a such a sweet lens. I'm actually thinking about selling my 35 L and getting one.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    lauren looks great :D

i was at b&h today, too, and bought the lens you didn't buy - the 85 f/1.2L :D

cheers troy
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    Looks like you nailed the depth of field. That silky smooth background with great bokeh is what you are paying for...
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    i had the 85 f1.2 in my hands and i said to myself " this is a professional lens " I wanted it badly but my wallet has a lot of "cents" so i had to go with the 135L.... thanx Andy!

troy
    andy wrote:

cheers troy
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    andy wrote:

cheers troy
    Andy didn't you own that lens when your took the Sting pics? When I saw them I bought the Nikon version.

Troy that is a great portrait of your daughter!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Andy didn't you own that lens when your took the Sting pics? When I saw them I bought the Nikon version.

Troy that is a great portrait of your daughter!

i had the f/1.8 of this lens (also really really sweet)
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 16, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i had the f/1.8 of this lens (also really really sweet)

Both of Canon's 85s are great. :):

Nice shot Windoze!! Lovely daughter.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • canon-5Dcanon-5D Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Both of Canon's 85s are great. :):

Nice shot Windoze!! Lovely daughter.
    To help me rationalize the $$ I just spent on the 85L, I have to say that it is just a notch 'greater' than the f1.8!! :D
  • burkeburke Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    great shot - sweet dof and great background tones..
    ~A
    edited August 17, 2005
    thanx Khaos! im actually tired of playing the "lens game". i hope this satisfies me for awhile. thanx for looking, troy
    Khaos wrote:
    It's a such a sweet lens. I'm actually thinking about selling my 35 L and getting one.
    edited August 17, 2005
    thanx Thomas, the lens is rather expensive and its not that I go looking for bad coipies of L lenses but im always skeptical at first when i get a lens if it is a good copy.... so "things" look ok to you???

troy
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Looks like you nailed the depth of field. That silky smooth background with great bokeh is what you are paying for...
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    It looks really nice to me. I think the focus may be slightly on her shoulder instead of her face but besides that it is a lovely shot. It always helps to have a beautiful subject to pose for you. Looking forward to seeing many more portraits from you.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited August 17, 2005
    ya see thats where im thinking ..... headscratch.gif

my assumption is that a lens like the 135L has a very narrow dof especially at wider aperatures so my thinking tells me, its crucial that a lens "especially one of this caliber" not front focus what-so-ever..... thats where i was going from the 1st post in this thread.... now mind you that i have no reason to suspect that it does nor do i even understand what i just said ( im not even sure if my thinking is correct ) but when you shell out a lot of $$ for a lens you wonder at first about this type of thing.... dont ya? headscratch.gif
    so - how would i know?

troy

gluwater wrote:
    It looks really nice to me. I think the focus may be slightly on her shoulder instead of her face but besides that it is a lovely shot. It always helps to have a beautiful subject to pose for you. Looking forward to seeing many more portraits from you.

Nick
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    ya see thats where im thinking ..... headscratch.gif

my assumption is that a lens like the 135L has a very narrow dof especially at wider aperatures so my thinking tells me, its crucial that a lens "especially one of this caliber" not front focus what-so-ever..... thats where i was going from the 1st post in this thread.... now mind you that i have no reason to suspect that it does nor do i even understand what i just said ( im not even sure if my thinking is correct ) but when you shell out a lot of $$ for a lens you wonder at first about this type of thing.... dont ya? headscratch.gif
    so - how would i know?

troy
    Uhh...I would be the blind leading the blind if I thought I could answer that. I think Gus uses the same lens as his walkaround, maybe he could give you some advice on this. BTW Did you use auto or manual focus?

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto