D700...finally!

chasgrohchasgroh Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited May 11, 2010 in Cameras
Just in time for summer I finally wangled a D700...I think it will ideally compliment my D300 (or is that a vice versa?) I've been doing a lot of shooting outdoors, on football fields, both days and under the lites; also inside gyms and generally pretty bad light conditions. The new body begs for a bigger/longer "fast" lens, as my 80-200 f2.8 will be just *that* and probably not quite enough reach for what I do with the band kids. I suppose I could continue using my D300 and benefit from the crop factor, and that would really fit in with my plans...so, out of all the lenses I own, only my 50mm f1.4 and the 80-200mm f2.8 are suitable for the large sensor body. Money *is* a consideration, although with a little planning I can get the good stuff, so I'd like to hear some suggestions for adding to my full frame collection. I'm leaning towards a zoom, but a good prime or two is not out of the question! Thanks for the help!

Charlie Groh

Comments

• GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Congrats! Enjoy the new toy! wings.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Funny, I also have a D700 and a D300. It is an interesting and challenging combination.

The bottom line is that nothing beats the fantastic high ISO performance of the D700. If the lighting is even remotely an issue, the D700 is your best choice. I routinely shoot up to ISO 6400 with no concerns about noise. I don't like the D300 above ISO 800.

With the great low light performance of the D700, you can consider a Nikkor 300mm, f4 AF-S lens if you need some additional reach for night time sports. Not as fast as an f2.8 lens, but it is sharp. Put this lens on your D300 during a daytime game, and you will have even more reach on the DX body.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    chasgroh wrote: »
    Just in time for summer I finally wangled a D700...I think it will ideally compliment my D300 (or is that a vice versa?) I've been doing a lot of shooting outdoors, on football fields, both days and under the lites; also inside gyms and generally pretty bad light conditions. The new body begs for a bigger/longer "fast" lens, as my 80-200 f2.8 will be just *that* and probably not quite enough reach for what I do with the band kids. I suppose I could continue using my D300 and benefit from the crop factor, and that would really fit in with my plans...so, out of all the lenses I own, only my 50mm f1.4 and the 80-200mm f2.8 are suitable for the large sensor body. Money *is* a consideration, although with a little planning I can get the good stuff, so I'd like to hear some suggestions for adding to my full frame collection. I'm leaning towards a zoom, but a good prime or two is not out of the question! Thanks for the help!

Charlie Groh

I really think I'd let my budget dictate here some. If you can go VR, go there. The resolution on the D700 is superior, so you can crop and get fine photos too. But I hear ya....It took me quite some time to pony up the money for a longer lens once I had the D700. First longer one was the 300f/4 though and I added a Kenko TC to it and it is a performer! And due to it not being the S version, Between the TC and the 300 I was under $900>~!

Also: COngrats on the Camera!
    tom wise
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 11, 2010
    Congratulation on the D700. clap.gif

Ultimately it sounds like you could benefit from a Nikkor 300mm, f2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR (either the original or the ED AF-S VR II) for night work and indoors. You might consider rental instead of purchase if money is a major concern.

For the bigger/brighter fields and for daylight the Nikkor 300mm, f4D IF-ED AF-S is more manageable. Also the Nikkor 80-400mm, f4.5-5.6D ED VR and even the Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM APO .
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    you have trapped youself..with the D700, I wouldn't mate it with anything but pro lens.

Have you considered a TC? With the D700 iso...you can afford some the light loss.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • chasgrohchasgroh Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Thanks, guys! Lots of great suggestions, I'll be referring to this thread for awhile. This forum is the coolest!

cg