good place to buy canon 7D in new york?

alcantara1alcantara1 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited May 14, 2010 in Cameras
Hello, I will be in New York in about a week from now and I would like to know a shop or place to buy a canon 7D + EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM?
The lower the price the better... thanks :help

Comments

• GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    B&H Photo is where I'd buy it. Their customer service is excellent. If you go there you can buy it there and either pick it up (paying sales tax) or have them ship it (for free) to your home outside of NY and pay no sales tax.

Adorama also has a showroom in the City and I've never had a problem with them. I find their prices (typically) to be slightly higher than B&H.
  • dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    I have the same plan but one question since I'm not from the states.. how much is the sales tax?
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote: »
    Adorama also has a showroom in the City and I've never had a problem with them.....

Thanks for the recommendation for Adorama Camera -'though you should know that at Adorama we will always make every effort to price-match (product cost and shipping) to our reputable competitors.

NB NY sales tax is currently 8.875%
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Both Adorama and B&H are World Class Stores! You get world Class Service, Sales and People. And Like any store they'll have and run Specials from time to time.

But really the bigger deal is: They'll be right there to aid you if there were anything wrong with your Purchase!!!! Right there in-person, via e-mail, or phone!

thumb.gif
    tom wise
    edited May 11, 2010
    So would you recommend buying online as to buying in the store and being charged for the sales tax?
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    For what it's worth, avoiding sales tax by shopping online isn't always worth it. Here in MA for example we're required to pay use tax on anything we buy out of state over $1000, and I've heard some places without sales/use taxes make you pay something like it on photo gear.
    edited May 11, 2010
    HelenOster wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation for Adorama Camera -'though you should know that at Adorama we will always make every effort to price-match (product cost and shipping) to our reputable competitors.

NB NY sales tax is currently 8.875%

Ah...you learn something new every day. I didn't know you guys would price match. Thanks.
    edited May 11, 2010
    dantambok wrote: »
    So would you recommend buying online as to buying in the store and being charged for the sales tax?

Doesn't matter. You can still buy in the store and they can ship it. As long as it's out of NYS there is no sales tax.
    edited May 11, 2010
    mehampson wrote: »
    For what it's worth, avoiding sales tax by shopping online isn't always worth it. Here in MA for example we're required to pay use tax on anything we buy out of state over $1000, and I've heard some places without sales/use taxes make you pay something like it on photo gear.

A few states do this but I don't think many. NJ definately doesn't do it as I order from out of state all of the time.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Go to B&H (an unforgettable experience) and then get a great meal next door.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=17174
  • mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    A few states do this but I don't think many. NJ definately doesn't do it as I order from out of state all of the time.

New Jersey actually does require it:
    http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/sales/anj7.pdf

There might be a minimum amount before they officially care, though -- in MA you're exempt from use tax on anything under $1000.
    edited May 12, 2010
    mehampson wrote: »
    New Jersey actually does require it:
    http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/sales/anj7.pdf

There might be a minimum amount before they officially care, though -- in MA you're exempt from use tax on anything under $1000.

Technically, I believe all states require it but they have no way of tracking it so nobody does it. I've been ordering expensive items for years and have never gotten any kind of notice.
    edited May 12, 2010
    Since i live in the philippines.. What if i order items from adorama or B&H which would total to about $2,500+ and ship it to a friend in new wark... would i still be charged for the sales tax?
    edited May 12, 2010
    Since i live in the philippines.. What if i order items from adorama or B&H which would total to about $2,500+ and ship it to a friend in new wark... would i still be charged for the sales tax?

If it's shipped to NY then yes, you'll be charged. Adorama also has a location in NJ so you'd pay tax there as well (I order from them as well). It would have to be shipped to a state which doesn't have an office for the company to not be charged sales tax.
    edited May 13, 2010
    If it's shipped to NY then yes, you'll be charged. Adorama also has a location in NJ so you'd pay tax there as well (I order from them as well). It would have to be shipped to a state which doesn't have an office for the company to not be charged sales tax.

oh ok.. but the sales tax is lower in NJ right? If it is then i guess I'll be buying in NJ... BTW, what's a good camera shop in NJ? :D
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    If I may underline a point... BE VERY VERY VERY VERY careful with photo retailers, especially in New York. There are TONS and TONS of scams!! Just go to Adorama and/or B&H and be done with it. DO NOT just walk into any electronics store - you WILL be scammed.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
    edited May 13, 2010
    oh ok.. but the sales tax is lower in NJ right? If it is then i guess I'll be buying in NJ... BTW, what's a good camera shop in NJ? :D

Tax is only slightly lower in NJ. When buying here in NJ, I buy from Unique Photo. They're in Fairfield, which is about 30-40 minutes West of NYC on Route 46 West. They are an excellent store as well. I don't think I'd come go the way out there to save the small amount though. Not worth it.
    edited May 13, 2010
    hmm... then I guess I'll look for adorama/B&H when i get there...
    and by any chance, if i do go to any electronic stores, how would they scam me?
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    hmm... then I guess I'll look for adorama/B&H when i get there...
    and by any chance, if i do go to any electronic stores, how would they scam me?

A million ways - grey or black-market item... bait-and-switch, over-charging your credit card, etc. etc. etc. Just do some google searching on the NYC electronic stores - it's common knowledge - there's even references to this in major movies - "Don't Mess With the Zohan" is one of them...
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    B&H -- the mothership!
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
    edited May 14, 2010
    i guess it's b&h and adorama then.. :D