Options

Wedding couple just not into it....

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited May 17, 2010 in Weddings
So I debated posting this link, but I guess we all have bad days and good so ....
I always have a hard time when I don't feel like the couple is into the photography and is treating me more like hired help.
This was one of those....takes the fun out of it....and when it feels like work it is hard to be creative.
The couple was not interested in trying anything or doing anything other than some quick poses and basically just getting a couple shots and moving on. Everything was hurry hurry...

Please don't get me wrong they are really good people and everyone was very pleasant.....they were just not into the photography part of it.

The light this day gave me a double cross. The day was very cloudy until 5 minutes before the ceremony started and then the blazing midday sun late afternoon sun came out and stayed out for the ceremony and portraits.
The ceremony light was a bear...bright sun front and back and deep shade in the middle ouch!!
After the ceremony I had 10 minute to get all the group photos....they wanted to get to the reception.....they were not hearing my requests to move to a different location with better light so they were all shot in the bright sun....those took some processing let me tell you.
Then the reception hall was dark as a tomb....
Somedays shooting weddings is just work.

Good thing I have a short memory :roflthe couple I am shooting this next weekend is going to be the best....
End of bitch fest :clap
Anyway here is the link:http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Wedding-galleries/Wedding-portraits-boise/12127306_wrdxn#862158915_ZYRQP

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Wow zoomer... I expected something quite different from what I saw of the thumbs that I looked at. These really aren't all that bad! Sorry it was tough, but you pulled it off like a champ!
  • Options
    sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Zoomer, I hear ya as I've been in the same situation. It's a good set though. The shine on her cheek (top row, 3rd from left) can easily be cloned out. Cheers.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    39 is the winner.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    Thanks for having a look everyone.
    Yes I am sure there are several hot spots that could use cloning.
    Thanks Heather.
    39 was with the 85 at f1.4 at 3200iso, I like the color in that one also.

Maybe they aren't as bad as they seem to me...my partner says she thinks the gallery looks pretty good headscratch.gif.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    it's a small step down over your usual stuff. The 85mm wide open has some kind of magic sauce in it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    It is a completely different mix for me which is probably why it feels so weird.
    I usually take a lot of bride getting ready shots, this time 10 minutes.
    I usually take hardly any reception shots, this time was over half of my photos taken since I had so few in the bag from the wedding and formals.

Yes nothing looks like the 85 1.4.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    They should be thrilled with these...Good thing they hired you! If a lesser photographer had to work with the challenges you described, it's unlikely they'd have much of anything as keeper images. And even though couples like this don't seem to care, sometimes they surprise you afterwards with their praise and gratitude, knowing they gave you nothing to work with!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    You did well Zoomer. I know exactly what that feels like...especially during wedding day....but in the end there are better shots than we perceived. Keep your head up as I know you will. I just shot a "daycare" wedding....Laughing.gif.....THAT was a challenge too but hey.....we get paid to deliver....and we do. Good job! I'm rootin for ya!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Zoomer,

The work shows much better than your thoughts on the day. Your clients will be thrilled.

I do have one question..............what did you use for fill?

I noticed one shot of the bride where the shutter was 1/1000. The bride was evenly exposed without shadows and the background was about the same exposure.

Just seemed to me that it would take more than a speed light to match the ambient light.

Sam
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    I think you did a great job and I think your clients will be over the moon with how things turned out! On reading your post, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but once I started looking at the results…

thumb.gif

OK, some of them I might have exposed differently, or waited for a moment, or set-up a bit different†, but when push comes to shove, and you're working against the clock (did you use an assistant or a 2nd shooter, BTW?)

I think there's a warmth between all the participants which you seem to have captured in spades!

I think that's a set to be proud of, nice job!

thumb.gif

- Wil

† I think #22 (1347) had the potential of being one of the best of the day: if either the bride, or the groom (or both), or even just the bridesmaid (but nobody else) had been looking directly into the camera and smiling! clap.gif
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    smurfy wrote: »
    They should be thrilled with these...Good thing they hired you! If a lesser photographer had to work with the challenges you described, it's unlikely they'd have much of anything as keeper images. And even though couples like this don't seem to care, sometimes they surprise you afterwards with their praise and gratitude, knowing they gave you nothing to work with!

Thanks for the comment I really appreciate that. Hopefully they will realize how tough the conditions were and be glad as you mentioned.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    Swartzy wrote: »
    You did well Zoomer. I know exactly what that feels like...especially during wedding day....but in the end there are better shots than we perceived. Keep your head up as I know you will. I just shot a "daycare" wedding....Laughing.gif.....THAT was a challenge too but hey.....we get paid to deliver....and we do. Good job! I'm rootin for ya!

Thanks Swartzy,
    Agreed we can be our own worst critics, chalking it up to experience and moving on.
    I have a solid feeling that I earned my fee and they should be happy with the finished product.
    I like to try to grow with each wedding...when I don't I get frustrated with myself.
    Appreciate your comment.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Zoomer,

The work shows much better than your thoughts on the day. Your clients will be thrilled.

I do have one question..............what did you use for fill?

I noticed one shot of the bride where the shutter was 1/1000. The bride was evenly exposed without shadows and the background was about the same exposure.

Just seemed to me that it would take more than a speed light to match the ambient light.

Sam

All shot with sb800 (always set on focal plane) on camera on a bracket. In the day I do my best to match ambient with the flash and then in processing I pump the highlights and also recovery which blows it out then bring the exposure back down to normal and add some black level...that evens things out pretty good and takes like 10 seconds in lightroom.

Appreciate your comment. I hope you are right..
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    I think you did a great job and I think your clients will be over the moon with how things turned out! On reading your post, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but once I started looking at the results…

thumb.gif

OK, some of them I might have exposed differently, or waited for a moment, or set-up a bit different†, but when push comes to shove, and you're working against the clock (did you use an assistant or a 2nd shooter, BTW?)

I think there's a warmth between all the participants which you seem to have captured in spades!

I think that's a set to be proud of, nice job!

thumb.gif

- Wil

† I think #22 (1347) had the potential of being one of the best of the day: if either the bride, or the groom (or both), or even just the bridesmaid (but nobody else) had been looking directly into the camera and smiling! clap.gif

Thanks Wil,
    My number one goal is always to capture the true personality of the couple.
    Yes I always have a second camera shoot the ceremony only, I shoot all the rest.
    Appreciate you having a look and taking the time to comment.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Swartzy wrote: »
    You did well Zoomer. I know exactly what that feels like...especially during wedding day....but in the end there are better shots than we perceived.

+1! You did great!! clap.gif
    I had some couples that weren't into photography too (ok, mostly GUYS, what's just up with that??), and the pics didn't come out nearly as good ... rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    +1! You did great!! clap.gif
    I had some couples that weren't into photography too (ok, mostly GUYS, what's just up with that??), and the pics didn't come out nearly as good ... rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif

Thanks.
    Yeah it is usually the guys, I usually sic my pretty assitant on them and all is good not this time. To every idea I had the groom said "that's just not me" ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Yeah it is usually the guys, I usually sic my pretty assitant on them and all is good not this time. To every idea I had the groom said "that's just not me" ne_nau.gif

I hear ya. Last weekend I had a case of "idiotic groomsmen". Go figure ... if it's not the groom, it's one of the guys ... rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    I was posing the groom for a couple of portraits, when one of the groomsmen sneaked up and started making fun of the (at that time *very* willing) groom. headscratch.gif Could only take a couple of jokes before I sent him away .... gack .... Needed to start my photo sweet talk allllll over again, until the groom forgot about his jokey buddy & let me shoot some more pics rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    As always I think they are great Zoomer! I recently shared your site with another photographer and he just couldn't get over how spectacular your work is! I have to agree... As for the non portrait thing with this couple I feel your pain. I am glad that I have a larger portrait business then wedding one so that if a bride and groom tell me they don't do the portrait thing and only want PJ I will turn them down and send them elsewhere.... our styles have to match so neither of us are frustrated and potentially ruin their special day. At least besides getting great photos your bride and groom seem happy enough! and like you said...move on to the next!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Good job with those. I am curious, is this phrase correct 'ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE PROTECTED BY FEDERAL ANTI COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT LAWS'?

That is on your pricing page.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2010
    As always I think they are great Zoomer! I recently shared your site with another photographer and he just couldn't get over how spectacular your work is! I have to agree... As for the non portrait thing with this couple I feel your pain. I am glad that I have a larger portrait business then wedding one so that if a bride and groom tell me they don't do the portrait thing and only want PJ I will turn them down and send them elsewhere.... our styles have to match so neither of us are frustrated and potentially ruin their special day. At least besides getting great photos your bride and groom seem happy enough! and like you said...move on to the next!

Thanks wingsoflove,
    I really appreciate that.
    I like that idea of asking them about the PJ. I should have known something was akilter when I told her she would be spending more time with me on her wedding day than anyone else and she looked at me like I was crazy.....in the end it was me that was crazy if I though that was going to happen :D
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote: »
    Good job with those. I am curious, is this phrase correct 'ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS SITE PROTECTED BY FEDERAL ANTI COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT LAWS'?

That is on your pricing page.

Thanks John,
    I added that to discourage photo theft. I get so many photos screens printed off my site and they show up in the weirdest places.
    I even saw 10 of my photos in a TV add, used without my permission.
  • Options
    LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    I hear ya! I think you did a marvelous job under those circumstances!

Is it just me, or is the order out of whack? Were you actually able to get them to see each other and pose for shots before the ceremony? Because that's what's on page 1 for me...I also thought I saw some reception shots towards the front, and then the ceremony shots a couple pages later...Just FYI ;-)
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Nice set. Just remember, however, how easily people can Google information now. This thread can easily be misconstrued under certain search scenarios and wind up being a lot of negative publicity that you don't need. Just FYI.
  • Options
    sharilynn1999sharilynn1999 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 17, 2010
    Zoomer,

i love your work! You cant tell the couple weren't into it and they should be very happy with them! I also looked around at your other photos... I particularly like http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Bridal-galleries/Crystals-Bridal-Photos/10005431_dEUeR#425604566_kSx48 and http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Bridal-galleries/Crystals-Bridal-Photos/10005431_dEUeR#400658080_PDN9C. did you use an 85mm lens full body here with your nikon? you mentioned also that you bracketed... was that 2 step with 5 or 3 images? simply gorgeous!!!

shari
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2010
    LeeHowell wrote: »
    I hear ya! I think you did a marvelous job under those circumstances!

Is it just me, or is the order out of whack? Were you actually able to get them to see each other and pose for shots before the ceremony? Because that's what's on page 1 for me...I also thought I saw some reception shots towards the front, and then the ceremony shots a couple pages later...Just FYI ;-)

Thanks Lee,
    Appreciate your comment.
    I always put them out of order. Most people only look at the first 10 or 20 shots so I frontload the galleries with my favorites.
    I only make sure I get the ceremony portion in order.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2010
    Nice set. Just remember, however, how easily people can Google information now. This thread can easily be misconstrued under certain search scenarios and wind up being a lot of negative publicity that you don't need. Just FYI.

Thanks for taking the time to comment Darren.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2010
    Zoomer,

i love your work! You cant tell the couple weren't into it and they should be very happy with them! I also looked around at your other photos... I particularly like http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Bridal-galleries/Crystals-Bridal-Photos/10005431_dEUeR#425604566_kSx48 and http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Bridal-galleries/Crystals-Bridal-Photos/10005431_dEUeR#400658080_PDN9C. did you use an 85mm lens full body here with your nikon? you mentioned also that you bracketed... was that 2 step with 5 or 3 images? simply gorgeous!!!

shari

Hi Sharilynn,
    Appreciate your comments, glad you like the shots.
    Both those pictures were with the d300 and 28-75 Tamron.
    I never bracket exposures, not sure where you saw that one...
    I ride the blinkies and give the exposure compensation dial a serious workout every outing mwink.gif
  • Options
    sharilynn1999sharilynn1999 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 17, 2010
    Hi Zoomer,

my apologies! reading alot last night mistook the bracketing! do you recall the exposure and did you have a softbox for either of them? I saw your blog on the closer one catching the reflection! I love how the colors pop on those! Would *love* to be able to do that with my olympus e-300 while i'm saving for a canon t2i... i can relate to the serious workout on the exposure dial! but what's "the blinkies"? I've only been doing digital photography for 5 years, prior to that I used a pentax film camera, dont remember the model, it was 20 years old Laughing.gif but always used the 300mm zoom lens on that one... the crosshairs convinced me to go digital.. that and the camera finally broke Laughing.gif what i use now to get the same affect is a 40-150 zuiko with a 45x HD wideangle coupled to that lens.. (that 300mm zuiko is expensive!! and i'd rather have the canon right now!) but the colors never come so nice as your 2!!

shari