Options

Pictures appear washed out?

Benwa 73Benwa 73 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 15, 2010 in Technique
I use a PanasonicDMC-TZ5 digital camera for when I go riding, and after I upload them they appear washed out. You can see the photo, but it looks bright and, well, washed out. Is it the camera itself or do I just not have it on the correct settings? Any and all help is appreciated. \

Thanks, Ben:dunno

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Please link an example. Are you shooting into the sun, perhaps?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    What software are you viewing in or postprocessing in? Shooting JPEG?

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 11, 2010
    What color profile is tagged with the image? sRGB or adobeRGB?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    The most common effect which I would call washed out is that the blacks are not deep enough. That is typically cause by lens flare which can either be the result of shooting into the sun or by a dirty lens. If all your shots look washed out, the first thing I'd try is to clean the lens.
  • Options
    Benwa 73Benwa 73 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 13, 2010
    Benride5-7-10042.jpg

IMG%5DIMG%5DBenride5-7-10056.jpg

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315007&page=77
    That is the thread where my pics are posted and the number below it is where its at on page #77
    IMG%5D

Here are the worst 2. I have them posted on ADVRider.com, and people have made the comment that they look washed out or are bright, and I agree. It was pretty sunny that day, so maybe that is the issue. Thnks for the help ,

Ben:D
  • Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    I'm not sure what happened in your camera (or in PP), but the exposure is not correct.
    I would recommend shooting landscape picture in F/11, F/16 or so as well.
    It can be corrected somewhat, but not without adding some noise and vignetting to the image. This can be filtered/cloned out of course, but in any case you've lost over half of the available color space.
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Benwa 73 wrote: »
    Is it the camera itself or do I just not have it on the correct settings? Any and all help is appreciated.

Here is a procedure that works with my students, when they call with a problem (changed a bit to fit your TZ5):

The first thing you should do to diagnose such a problem is reset the camera to the default settings ... you did not specify which exact Panasonic DMC-TZ5, so I assumed the TZ5A ... that manual on page 25 shows what you need to know and where to find Reset Setup Parameters.

Now, put your camera into Intelligent Auto mode and take some photos. If there is still a problem, the camera more than likely needs to be repaired.

If the problem goes away, then it was something you accidentally set, or you are not using the limited manual controls correctly.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    ~O v e r e x p o s e d~
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 14, 2010
    Yup!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Benwa 73 wrote: »
    I use a PanasonicDMC-TZ5 digital camera for when I go riding, and after I upload them they appear washed out. You can see the photo, but it looks bright and, well, washed out. Is it the camera itself or do I just not have it on the correct settings? Any and all help is appreciated. \

Thanks, Benne_nau.gif

I viewed the exif of that first image you posted and saw this "Exposure Bias Value = +1.33EV" .
    You somehow dialed in "+1.3" exposure compensation which is what made them over-exposed .
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .