Options

Exotic Salt Mines

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited May 13, 2010 in Landscapes
Got chance to visit Khewra Salt mine, the 2nd largest salt deposit in the world 220 million ton. It was lit by combination of different lights, you got to read about it at Wikipedia !

How it was discovered
It is said that when Alexander visited South Asia, coming across the Jhelum and Mianwali region, Khewra Salt Mines were discovered. The discovery of the mines, however, was not made by Alexander nor his "allies", but by his horse. It is stated that when Alexander's army stopped here for rest, the horses started licking the stones. One of his soldiers took notice of it and when he tasted the rock stone, it was salty thus leading to the discovery of the mines.

I shot a lot photos from this one day trip and i am back home really tired, will post in journeys soon.

864090445_QBSLN-XL.jpg
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Looks cool so far. Looking forward to seeing more.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Wow, what a cool environment. I look forward to more!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited May 11, 2010
    Very interesting story, Awais. The warm tones remind me of slot canyons.

Mark Kurlansky wrote a very interesting book about salt "Salt - A World History"

Salt gave kings the power to raise armies. You can imagine how thrilled Alexander would have been to discover a huge salt deposit.

Salt was the technique of choice to preserve meat/protein for armies on the move in the field. Without salt, armies could starve, hence the value of salt mines.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    The light on the salted walls look amazing! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Very interesting story, Awais. The warm tones remind me of slot canyons.

Mark Kurlansky wrote a very interesting book about salt "Salt - A World History"

Salt gave kings the power to raise armies. You can imagine how thrilled Alexander would have been to discover a huge salt deposit.

Salt was the technique of choice to preserve meat/protein for armies on the move in the field. Without salt, armies could starve, hence the value of salt mines.

Amazing information ! thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery