Options

Weird and Whacky Venue

smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited May 12, 2010 in Weddings
About a month ago, I shot a beautiful wedding that started a whole hour late. I agreed to stay overtime till the close of the reception to get the formals and romantics we'd missed, at the bride's request. This venue was physically lovely, but the staff were like soldier guards from the time the couple entered the bridal suite till after they said their farewell speech.

The bride and I had planned to use a structure on the grounds for pictures...Here's a link if anyone wants to see the place and some of the pictures.

http://godburnphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/12152789_cT9c3#864380640_s9EdZ

The crazy thing was, we were absolutely not allowed to go outside and use the pretty part of the grounds, being told only the other function at the venue could use the marble, pillared structure at the entrance. This despite the fact that the other function had broken up early, and this structure was nowhere near or connected to that other function room.

The couple said their farewell speech at 4:30 pm and we went outside to take pictures with the two of them and a soldier like employee tagging along, thinking we had till 5 pm.
(We had not done any couple pictures at this point, but had done the rest of the formals.)
So we went into the far less attractive, sunny courtyard for our shoot, but after just about two minutes the employee interrupted and said "their guests will be leaving soon. They need to go in now." She was an insistent pain, and really wouldn't let up. Needless to say, the expressions of the couple were affected. And I gave up shooting them and we went back in. Said our goodbyes, gathered out stuff...

Then my assistant and I tried to leave, and were ordered, as rudely as possible, to exit out of the kitchen! "Stop!!", we were ordered three times, till we realized she was yelling at us! We were so shocked we just did as we were ordered...by the way, we were dressed like guests and carting one rolling case and one backpack. But we were not allowed to exit out of the main door!

When we went through the kitchen, we were not able to access the car, cus this place is huge and access to our parking lot was blocked by the building. So we had to go back in the way we came and tried to make a beeline past the military like guard blocking us. But she physically tried to impede us, and yelled at us to go out the way she told us through the kitchen! I was just trying to avoid the freakish staff's wrath, so again complied, and a flower vendor delivering for the next event showed us how to get to our car.

So I know this is a long post, but am wondering if this is something others have experienced, or just a freak venue from some bad dream. And a better way to deal with it if it ever happens again.

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    whoa..it seems like venues would be polite to vendors for reputations sakes.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Yeah that is crazy, my guess is you were dealing with an individuals controlling personality. If a venue as a whole was like that it would not be around long.
  • Options
    LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    I seem to recall this place being on one of those bridal TV shows...If I remember correctly, they pump them in and out like no one's business. A bit tragic when you think about it...Some things you have no control over. Perhaps the bride/groom should have done a little more research and cleared some of these things up beforehand. You did the best you could do though, and that's probably more than what their staff could ever vouch for.
  • Options
    PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Wow, crazy place! I wonder if they normally have an in-house photographer and therefore do their best to cause you trouble?
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2010

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    I think I would avoid shooting there again in the future.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2010
    Mishka wrote: »
    I think I would avoid shooting there again in the future.

Nah, just quote a "Venetian" surcharge (of course don't let the client know!). Add enough that will cover your hassle. Instead of refusing to work there, just get paid for it!

Plus, from the looks of it, this is the MOST expensive venue in your area - I think I saw $200/plate for food?!? So charge them 2 more plates worth! :)

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Thanks for the words of wisdom, everyone! If it had been only one or two employees, I'd just think it was the individuals...but it was four different people with the same nasty attitudes. Definitely made me wonder how they stay in business!

But the couple are really happy with their pictures, and hopefully will only remember the good parts of their day as time passes.

I think charging a surcharge for this venue is a great idea, but it would have to be at least ten plates worth to make me go back!