Wadi Rum, Jordan Panorma printing help & comments

GrantWGrantW Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 12, 2010 in Landscapes
Hello,
So I was in the dessert in the middle east with a magnificent landscape at sunset that just cried out to be captured in a panorama. I have always wanted to do a multi shot pano but had never quite had the right shot in front of me. So equipped with a gorilla pod and nothing but the top of a sand dune for support I took a few snaps fairly casually to see how they would come out ... they came much better than expected and now I am thinking of printing them but would like some advice.

The lumpy edge photo is more or less raw after being stitched together with autostitch, the second is the best I can get it with my limited post processing skills. I would ideally like to remove more of the curve without losing the foreground details ... any suggestions for this? What would you do?

Some other things I would like some feed back on:
- if it was printed at 100 cm wide, it would only be 18cm wide. How would that look?
- The post processed image, how sharp would it look if printed at 100cm wide?
- border colours for prints, black frame with white border?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks for reading and looking,
Grant

Originals here:

http://grantw.smugmug.com/Travel/Wadi-Rum/11638857_DbF2k#864811833_enZpd

Comments

• GrantWGrantW Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2010
    The second one
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 12, 2010
    Open your existing image in PS, hit ctrl-A to select the image, and hit Edit>Transform>Warp

Now you can drag the control point around the edges of the image up, down or sideways, to adjust the image to your taste. Large panos frequently need a bit of Transform>Warp to get them squared up for final viewing. Hit return, and then ctrl-d to deselect your selection lines.

18 x 100 cm is roughly a 5 to 1 pano. I tend to favor 3 to panos, but 4 to 1 and 5 to 1 can work sometimes as well. Depends on the image to a bit.

How will the final printed image look? Depends on the quality of the original files, but I have seen fine art gallery prints made from 3 or 4 images from a Canon G9 point and shoot. If you have high quality files ( RAW is better ) from a P&S, you should easily be able to make an acceptable pano 20cm tall and 100 cm long - that's only 1 meter long.

Frame to suit your hearts content. I have been framing with simple black frames with a single black matte, reverse cut so no white is exposed for the last year, and I really like the look.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin