What?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
edited May 14, 2010 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Laughing.gif, great shot Richard! I enjoyed this 'un.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Yep like it :D

Maybe crop foreground brightness ne_nau.gif
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Another winner! thumb.gif, Richard!

clap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Oh, yeah :D
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited May 12, 2010
    Thanks, guys.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    clap.gifclap I can't tell you how many times a day I say that to one or the other of my three dogs! :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Neat one, Richard. I love the way the light hits the man and his dog and the dynamic poses.

I'm with Benjamin about the bright foreground. I wouldn't crop it out, but I would consider darkening it some just so the eye doesn't get tempted to wander from the scene. But it's not my photo (darn!), it's yours.

Bottom line, I like it.

Virginia

Email
    edited May 13, 2010
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    clap.gifclap I can't tell you how many times a day I say that to one or the other of my three dogs! :D

Thanks Jack. Probably about as many as I say it to one cat. lol3.gif
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    Neat one, Richard. I love the way the light hits the man and his dog and the dynamic poses.

I'm with Benjamin about the bright foreground. I wouldn't crop it out, but I would consider darkening it some just so the eye doesn't get tempted to wander from the scene. But it's not my photo (darn!), it's yours.

Bottom line, I like it.

Virginia

Thanks, Virginia. I toned it down a bit and while I was at it I tried a slight crop as well:

865709449_eFVN7-XL.jpg

What do you think?
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Much improved I think Richard. The crop increases the emphasis on the man and dog.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    I like the crop Richard. Nice catch.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Really great shot, Richard. The second version is an improvement. Try dealing with 5 cats...all of which are demanding creatures.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Thanks Jack. Probably about as many as I say it to one cat. lol3.gif

Thanks, Virginia. I toned it down a bit and while I was at it I tried a slight crop as well:

865709449_eFVN7-S.jpg

What do you think?

Love it when a plan comes together :D (thanks, George Peppard)
    edited May 14, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    Love it when a plan comes together :D (thanks, George Peppard)
    And thanks to you for the crop suggestion. As Jack said, it does make the subjects more prominent. thumb.gif
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    And thanks to you for the crop suggestion. As Jack said, it does make the subjects more prominent. thumb.gif

Grrr. I hate to be a contrarian, but I really preferred the first version. It feels more alive to me. I thought the brightness of the scene accentuated the man and dog's relationship and interaction. The modified foreground depresses the image and doesn't really match the exuberance of the pair. ne_nau.gif
    edited May 14, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    Grrr. I hate to be a contrarian, but I really preferred the first version. It feels more alive to me. I thought the brightness of the scene accentuated the man and dog's relationship and interaction. The modified foreground depresses the image and doesn't really match the exuberance of the pair. ne_nau.gif
    There's one in every crowd, grumble, grumble...rolleyes1.gif

OK, I was hanging out in that spot because I was interested in the geometry of the benches and the combination of bright light and shadow. How about the original processing but with the second crop?

866689053_pkq4E-XL.jpg

I've looked at the image too long to tell which I prefer at this point, and will have to look again in a couple of weeks. ne_nau.gif