Options

WE Got a cover!!!

PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
edited May 13, 2010 in Weddings
This is one of the 3 major Wedding magazines in Las Vegas (used to be called "Wedding Extravaganza" but was changed to Bride and Groom and this is the 1st issue). About 25,000 copies distributed in various wedding related venues and retail outlets here in Vegas.

Sorry for the bad scan - looks like we need to clean our glass! :) And the color - looks too red on the scan, not bad on the cover...

865030530_efGqY-M.jpg
Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
2 Canon 40d
70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
And a bunch of other stuff ;)

Comments

• Options
    LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Awesome! Gotta love it when you can get that kind of publicity...I'd be interested to hear how your sells do after that gets distributed.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Congratulations! And it's a lovely image. Traditional and elegant without being boring or old.
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Very nice. Congratulations!
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    YAYA!! Congrats, that's a big one ... clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2010
    Thanks for the comments - we were offered the cover by the publisher based on our entire range of work, but when it came down to the meeting to choose which specific photo, we had a pretty big difference of opinion!

The publisher (an older lady) is very "traditional" - we picked out 10 favorites from the last year and she quickly said "no" to ALL of them. She hated them - they were very "contemporary" - 2010 wedding photography basically. Another shot from this bride and groom was one of our "faves" and after having 10 "no" votes, in frustration I clicked on this series.

At first, she chose this one but said, "I'm gonna have to flip the flowers so they are pointing up".. While I agree that "traditionally" flowers go up, they just wouldn't work with this photo OR with this couple, plus I didn't want her editing the photo!

I showed her several other photog's samples and then she agreed to leave the photo as-is. I was so worried, I actually made HER sign a release stating that they would do NO editing except for "cropping, but only to fit the magazine layout". They did futz with the color a little bit but left it otherwise untouched.

As for extra business - the mag has been distributed for about a month... we also have a full-page ad in the mag, as well as a full page ad for the DJ side of our business.. we have had ONE call tracked to the ad - we carefully track EVERY lead so it's the only call we've had from this magazine (it booked, about $2500 total). I wouldn't mind getting a booking per month from it at that rate! :)

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2010
    By the way, it's VERY hard to choose a pic for a cover - mainly because the composition has to lend itself to a cover! The 10 pics we chose were not really our complete faves, but they were our faves that were #1 portrait-oriented, and #2 had enough neutral space to allow for text overlay. We really don't shoot our wedding photos with "ok, compose this for the cover of a magazine" in our minds...

Although that's not entirely true anymore- we've been chasing the cover of another mag in town that has a contest every year - you submit 10 photos and they choose from the 600 or so total submissions. Last year they told us we made the "top 5" but didn't make the cover... so when we have a very attractive bride/groom we have been trying to shoot "cover" shots to submit to this contest :)

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Congrats on the cover and, as has been said, it will be interesting to see how your business is affected. Keep us posted!

I can understand your concern about letting the editor loose with your photo. mwink.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    rstwoheerstwohee Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Congratulations! It's a beautiful picture and I loved reading the story to go along with it. I can't imagine what the lady was thinking when she wanted the flowers to point up. Is that where you internally roll your eyes, scream loudly, take a deep breath and then outwardly put on your best salesmanship?! :D

Thanks for sharing.
    Well done is better than well said. - Benjamin Franklin