Softball critique wanted

WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
edited May 16, 2010 in Sports
Shot U8 (first time) last year and U12 this year, shots from the first 2 games, your critique would be much welcomed please.

1 0_0_0bfb1526ca0aafde9bd8193d49cb3555_1

2. 0_0_6b97bf418e4930e3025e95b5eb5f4621_1

3. 0_0_79aa79eda1df1f58ccf865a2243b4304_1

4. 0_0_0d4623e690d3138443fd44d82f1ead05_1

5. 0_0_04a86eda9da9e658164df0958cdbcb61_1

6. 0_0_f11ee8a805e9463f9990a0fa3b9b9382_1

7. 0_0_38c87a4897f5f65befa758a352774206_1

8. 0_0_03a553d3bf2a2bef20cc59b4b5947a9f_1

9. 0_0_96cd4631f9b50599d112d46aefbe38f2_1

10. 0_0_fb6ba9a7c795cde29bbb2cb6d2e41098_1

11. 0_0_ef81220a0606da4b8430c943cdef244c_1
Lee Wiren

Comments

• double_bdouble_b Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Can't see any of the pics.
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    double_b wrote: »
    Can't see any of the pics.

Sorry about that double b, it seemed fine last night when I posted it.....headscratch.gif Is anybody else having this problem ne_nau.gif?

I will take a look when I get home tonight and check if I can see any reasons for that, I can't see past my firewall at work to view the photo's rolleyes1.gif.

Thanks for trying....

Cheers

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Crops are pretty tight.
    Shoot with as large an f-stop as you can for isolation.
    Leave some space for the action to move into or come from.
    edited May 13, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    Crops are pretty tight.
    Shoot with as large an f-stop as you can for isolation.
    Leave some space for the action to move into or come from.

Thanks Zoomer. I had done not so tight crops before and it was suggested that I crop as tight as possible......guess the action will determine the happy medium....?

All shot with the largest f-stop on my lens (50-200/f2.8~3.5) most of these were around the 130mm/2.9 range, don't have any other faster glass other than my 50/2 macro, but that doesn't leave me as much zoom as I sometimes need and would have to crop to death for anything, lol.

Thanks for looking, I will post more next week if you care to see the difference and I will try to leave a bit more room for action.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Be picky about who you listen to for advice and look at the images that are displayed professionally on the net and in magazines. That should be a pretty good rule to follow for the most part.

There a lot of internet "experts" who really don't know all that much....like me rolleyes1.gifbarb

Good luck with it you have a good start, half the battle is won as the color and exposure are good and they are in focus.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Wiren wrote: »
    your critique would be much welcomed please.

0_0_79aa79eda1df1f58ccf865a2243b4304_1
    This is by far the best IMHO. It's free of background clutter and freezes the action and exertion beautifully.

However I'd prefer the crop to have a little less space behind the subject and (if possible) a little more in front and also a tad more under the right foot so the gap to the ground is more evident. mwink.gif
  • VitaminVVitaminV Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Just want to 2nd Dub cubed. Pull it in a small amount on the left and pull it out and down to the right. For my taste, I like to see things not so centered. I like to see more space in the direction of the action, which in this case is the right side. If she was turned and waiting for a throw from the outfield with the action coming in from the left, then I'd put the space there. When the edge is too close to the direction of the action, either to or from, for me, it tends to cut off the story that the shot is trying to convey.
  • double_bdouble_b Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    I think for the most part they are good. Exposure is on and colors are nice. I agree with what has been hashed over already about the cropping. You want to crop as tight as you can within reason. Leave a little wiggle room if a customer(if you sell them) wants to do a crop from say 4x6 to 8x10.

Actually...as I type that I realize you are using Oly....the 4/3 crop does make that a little different than what most people are use to. It's nearly an 8x10 crop to start with whereas a lot of sports shots lend themselves to 4x6.

I started out with Olympus and when I switched, due to shooting mainly sports I did find the cropping to be a little easier when starting with 4x6. So you just may need to shoot a little looser to give yourself more options when cropping.

The main thing when cropping as others have said is to leave a little more room on the side of the frame where "the action is heading into", if not it seems as though the action is "running into a wall".
    edited May 14, 2010
    Thanks Double B. I will try to shoot a bit looser and avoid any walls.....:bash Laughing.gif

I did recently selll some photo's to a parent from another team who asked me to shoot her daughter. Funniest thing to me is after I gave her my card with my website, I got a phone call literally 3 hours after the game with mom in a panic as to why she didn't see her daughter on my site yet. I explained that I was not set up to work this fast, was at a meeting for another project I shoot for annualy and that I had 525 photo's to sift through.rolleyes1.gif I got them done that night, shot her an email and then it took her 3 days to bother purchasing anything rolleyes1.gif But I am sure we are all full of stories like that - she purchased 5 4x6's and I can see where shooting looser would have let the crop be better.

I am shooting a game tonight, hopefully the sun is out and good and there is a lot more action. Look for a new batch to critique in a few days.....

Thanks for the help all.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Nice job Lee. Nice and sharp photos and tight framing. You need a LITTLE more room but not much. Resist the advice to shoot loose. Keep shooting tight - it helps retain sharpness and detail. You want enough space for print cropping to 4x6 and don't forget about the 'bleed'. Otherwise keep it tight. Much better than loose. The major reason is - backrounds at youth sports events are terrible. They're ugly and distracting. For example shots 5, 9 and 10 all suffer from the backgrounds being too distracting. That's one of the toughest parts of youth sports - blurring those backgrounds. You want to use your lens at it's longest focal length and widest aperture to blur that as much as possible.
    As an example. Now you might not be able to get this amount of blur with your current gear, but shooting at widest aperture and largest focal length will max out the blur you do get.
    172023911_LcD8T-L.jpg
  • jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    Be picky about who you listen to for advice and look at the images that are displayed professionally on the net and in magazines. That should be a pretty good rule to follow for the most part.

There a lot of internet "experts" who really don't know all that much....like me rolleyes1.gifbarb

Good luck with it you have a good start, half the battle is won as the color and exposure are good and they are in focus.

Hello Mike,
    I was just on your site looking at your landscape pics...wow is all I can say.
    I am going to Yosemite on Tuesday, May 18th....Can you share with me how you can got such incredible shots yea, experience has alot to do with it and I am working on that one. Seems I always find a focus issue in my landscape stuff. I will be using a 1D Mark III with at 16-35 f2.8 canon lens and of course a tripod. Do you use single point of focus? What f stop, shutter speed, etc. Thanks for any direction you can provide.