at the lake

amoramor Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited August 17, 2005 in People
new to this whole digital photography thing. i'm playing with a pretty minimal camera (canon sd200), but i'm starting to learn how to get what i want through trial and error. i took the thing to the lake today with a friend, and happened to like the way these two turned out. i'm still not getting enough light most of the time. hands aren't steady enough without a tri-pod.
suggestions welcome. i'm a real amateur looking to learn.
32426800-S.jpg

32426821-S.jpg

Comments

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    The second is OOF, but I prefer it to the first.

Nice setting. :)
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Welcome to dgrin!
    I agree with the above comment. While everyone likes a picture that is clear and nice lighting, which the first one is, it's more important to capture emotion in a portrait of someone and that's why the second one speaks to me more. However, I do wish it was in focus.
    Getting them both together- and a lot of other things like DOF, shutter speed and blah blah blah is the challenge. But you will find that when this happens it ususally result in an awesome photo.
    These are nice and I hope you keep posting. You are doing a good job with the equipment you have. Keep it up.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    you live in a beautiful state so it doessnt surprise me that the setting seems so nice, although ive played around with a few cams and have been posting awhile - i am always trying to do something new... One of the moderators on this forum ( shay stephens ) once gave me advice when i first strated out and it holds true to today - KEEP PRACTICING when u take a pic and it looks good to you, write down what you did , the settings etc. keep a journal with you when you shoot... write down what works and i guarantee this!! - you will get BETTER images over time and feel successful. so read a little about iso, aperatures, etc.. ask questions "here" but ultimately if u wanna improve -KEEP SHOOTING and write down what works.... Good luck!

troy

'
    amor wrote:
    new to this whole digital photography thing. i'm playing with a pretty minimal camera (canon sd200), but i'm starting to learn how to get what i want through trial and error. i took the thing to the lake today with a friend, and happened to like the way these two turned out. i'm still not getting enough light most of the time. hands aren't steady enough without a tri-pod.
    suggestions welcome. i'm a real amateur looking to learn.
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Hi Anor and welcome to DGrin,
    I actually like #1 better. It reminds me of a shot from a well know photog (don't remember who) in the 50's. I like the effect of the lens distortion here. The photo needs some PP to pop, but the comp is good to me. I'd even try a B&W treatment here, maybe add some grain effect. I also think leaving the frame works to add drama and action to the shot. A lot of rules broken here, intentional or not, but I think they work. For me, it's a snapshot (not a derogatory meaning) gone rightthumb.gif.

Also, don't be afraid to use fill flash for daytime shots. I can help make a photo that would otherwise be too dark to work.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister