What PP would you do on this SOOC landscape?

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited May 18, 2010 in Landscapes
Hi,
I have a series of 4 (maybe 5) shots that make up a panorama. This is just one of them and has had no PP at all, it's straight out of camera. I really like the colours in this, the foreboding sky, yet bright foreground.
4603519315_6f57f2ccf0.jpg
My question: What PP would you do? Does it need any? Are the colours ok, or not?
Thanks
CRaig

Comments

• WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Looks nice the way it is but it can always get better.

If you are going for artsy looking then you could bump the orange in the trees up quite a bit and have it blazing. Bump the greens and the sky as well.

My 2¢
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Wachel wrote: »
    Looks nice the way it is but it can always get better.

If you are going for artsy looking then you could bump the orange in the trees up quite a bit and have it blazing. Bump the greens and the sky as well.

My 2¢

Great. I'll try a few different ways.

Another question....pp first, or stitch the panorama first then pp?
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    i'd bump vibrance, saturation and blacks, then curve it out a little, so it would get brighter.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Surely this will be a nice pano! I like this scene. Color looks fine.
    My opinions?
    Bring some blue out in the clouds maybe, giving a little more darkness to them.
    Bump up the luminance in everything except blue.
    Do what you can to take out the noise in the sky.

my .03cents
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 14, 2010
    Great. I'll try a few different ways.

Another question....pp first, or stitch the panorama first then pp?

I usually stitch then do PP, otherwise you might get blending issues in the sky.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 14, 2010
    Surely this will be a nice pano! I like this scene. Color looks fine.
    My opinions?
    Bring some blue out in the clouds maybe, giving a little more darkness to them.
    Bump up the luminance in everything except blue.
    Do what you can to take out the noise in the sky.

my .03cents

Why Thank You! :D

I will try your suggestions this weekend. I will post my completed panorama when I'm done - It'll be my first landscape panorama, so would be good to get feedback.

Also, I have a landscape competition coming up...but it's monochrome print! Might have to try and do this monochrome, too. See what happens!
    edited May 14, 2010
    Hi,

Here's my first attempt at the panorama...

I am not happy with the trees on the right, but other than that, what do we think?

4608723616_16bcb989c3_b.jpg

4608727502_0bdbb4f276_b.jpg
    edited May 15, 2010
    #1 pano looks really great to me, very wild scene!
    #2 B&W pano, maybe Im the only one but it is not working for me, I would suggest to try a few other B&W techniques found everywhere on the web and see what turns out. FWIW from my .03cents of sense...thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 15, 2010
    as for the right side trees, I think if you crop just enough off the right side and frame the tree line falling instead of rising that might have a better flow.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    The color version really looks nice. Lovely composition and setting. I'd clone out the salt lick or pot on the right. The large version looks great but when viewed on the original size it appears that you may have worked on the sky independent of the land and the horizon line (tree line). The selection does not blend well at all. not sure if that would show if you were to ever print this. Looks nice as is though.
    edited May 16, 2010
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    The color version really looks nice. Lovely composition and setting. I'd clone out the salt lick or pot on the right. The large version looks great but when viewed on the original size it appears that you may have worked on the sky independent of the land and the horizon line (tree line). The selection does not blend well at all. not sure if that would show if you were to ever print this. Looks nice as is though.

Yes, you are right about the sky - I need to go back and re-do! It would show if it were printed large, but you can't really tell on the computer screen.

I will have another crack at it. nod.gif
    edited May 17, 2010
    New version of panorama
    Ok, so I started afresh from the three images, re-did the photomerge, re-did the selection of the sky and the landscape, did the adjusting, tried to tidy up the "join". This is the result...any better? (the photo links to my Flickr, wher you can see it LARGE)

4616647474_73e49e9fd4_b.jpg
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    I think it's great. Very tranquil feeling.

The small version suffers from the same flaw I've seen in some of mine: you can see it getting dark towards the horizontal edges of the individual frames (slight vignetting not visible on a single print, maybe?).

At full resolution you probably won't notice it, but scaled down it's very evident.
    edited May 17, 2010
    Blackwood wrote: »
    I think it's great. Very tranquil feeling.

The small version suffers from the same flaw I've seen in some of mine: you can see it getting dark towards the horizontal edges of the individual frames (slight vignetting not visible on a single print, maybe?).

At full resolution you probably won't notice it, but scaled down it's very evident.

you mean above, little left of the cows? I see what you mean...wonder if i can sort it...?
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2010
    you mean above, little left of the cows? I see what you mean...wonder if i can sort it...?

Yah, and a couple other places. I find my eyes drawn to these regions.

I'm not sure whether it's a lens artifact or just a result of photoshop (or whatever software you're using) trying to blend colors and brightnesses.
    edited May 18, 2010
    Blackwood wrote: »
    Yah, and a couple other places. I find my eyes drawn to these regions.

I'm not sure whether it's a lens artifact or just a result of photoshop (or whatever software you're using) trying to blend colors and brightnesses.

They can't all be because of blending, there's 3 images here. The one above the cows fits with the "join" - the others, well, i don't see them very well on the original...The original is very big, though, so perhaps the change in brightness is more subtle over a larger area than in a vastly reduced version?

Thanks
  • Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2010
    Looks better in color. Looks like a pic of a colonial settlement.
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com