F-f-f-foolin'

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited January 23, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
This bizarre structure is at Ft. Stark in New Castle NH - now decommissioned. It lies right on the headland facing out to sea and is supposed to look like a boat and fool enemies into...what? I don't really know, but it's a very cool building and one I wish was restored, but it's a wreck and I didn't feel like jumping the fence.

4604779092_7a1b5160fc_b.jpg

a softer version taken last year at sunrise -
4083954518_c88ebee60c_b.jpg

and the backside -
4604779088_14aee4a86f_b.jpg

I have no idea if any other forts around the country had anything like this. probably not. It seems so silly.

On one side of it are a couple of these empty gun mounts. A lot of this fort is fenced off, thus limiting photographic composition, but it's a very cool place that has no admission and is in a beautiful spot.

4604779102_306cf63e41_b.jpg

Anyway, thanks for looking. comments welcome.

Comments

• TrigPhotographyTrigPhotography Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Wow, cool find and you got some good photos even without jumping the fence. I'd love to get in there someday. What an interesting building.

PS: Now I have Foolin' by Def Lepard in my head! rolleyes1.gif
    Frank C. Grace
    Shooting with a Pentax K-5 and a slew of other goodies
    SmugMug | HDR Spotting | Flickr | Facebook | Google+
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    F-f-f-foolin'
    Great series and find! Will have to check that out.

Makes me think of a Wright house. Complete with oddball swimming pool in the last shot. thumb.gif

rolleyes1.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Looks more like a bunker than a boat. The structure may be to give it a wide field of view for spotting targets for the guns (?).
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Thanks guys. It was more boat-like in the past, evidently, but now is pretty ruined. There are more traditional bunkers in the next fort up.
    Don - if you ever get up this way you can do Ft. Stark, Ft. Constitution & Ft. McLary in one day - they're all in a row within a few miles of each other. You can see Ft. Constitution from Ft. Stark. Ft. C is by the Portsmouth Harbor Light (not the one on Whaleback). And a few miles down coast is Ordione Point state park, the former site of Ft. Dearborn.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Thanks guys. It was more boat-like in the past, evidently, but now is pretty ruined. There are more traditional bunkers in the next fort up.
    Don - if you ever get up this way you can do Ft. Stark, Ft. Constitution & Ft. McLary in one day - they're all in a row within a few miles of each other. You can see Ft. Constitution from Ft. Stark. Ft. C is by the Portsmouth Harbor Light (not the one on Whaleback). And a few miles down coast is Ordione Point state park, the former site of Ft. Dearborn.
    Thanks, I have done Odiorne Point park near Rye many times over the years! Will have to check out some of the others.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • augustmelodyaugustmelody Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    I know this is an older thread, but I just have to say that these are great! Fort Stark is beautiful, even more interesting nooks and crannies to explore when you DO jump the fence ;)

Here are just a couple of snapshots I picked up there, I hope you don't mind me sharing.
    8321_137548985027_502475027_2705709_1329212_n.jpg

8321_137548960027_502475027_2705705_291860_n.jpg

16858_229992640027_502475027_3328065_5852954_n.jpg
    edited January 22, 2011
    I don't mind. Glad you got to explore it a bit. The shot of the tree from down the bank is nice. Good job.
  • Firehouses of OhioFirehouses of Ohio Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    Wow that is really great, it looks like a command and control center for a series of WWII era coastal defensive positions. Where is this located again please?
    edited January 22, 2011
    It's in New Market, NH. This is one of a string of forts protecting the mouth of the Piscataqua which is Portsmouth Harbor. Going from south to north (Maine) there is Fort Dearborn (WWII only), Fort Stark (Revolutionary War on), Fort Constitution (Revolutionary War on), Fort McClary, Maine (Revolutionary War to WWI) and Fort Foster also in Maine. None are really connected and operated independently. You can do them all in one day since they're just minutes from each other. Totally worth it and stay for the sunset at Ft. Foster.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Very interesting place. Will need to look this place up.