Falls

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited May 16, 2010 in Landscapes

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Very nice Dan! I really like the look of the water over the falls. The photo is possibly a little warm, but I am not really going to say as my monitor here at work is not the best.
    This looks like a really pretty place to spend an afternoon!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    Very nice Dan! I really like the look of the water over the falls. The photo is possibly a little warm, but I am not really going to say as my monitor here at work is not the best.
    This looks like a really pretty place to spend an afternoon!

Ron

Thanks Ron. I agree and I have cooled it a bit (will post later)thumb.gif
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Oh wow, I really like this shot!!
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 13, 2010
    Nice rendering, Dan.

HDR ( or shadow/highlight? perhaps ) really helps with waterfalls, doesn't it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited May 14, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Nice rendering, Dan.

HDR ( or shadow/highlight? perhaps ) really helps with waterfalls, doesn't it?

Thanks Jim, yes, pretty harsh light so I used a 10 stop ND.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    WB is a bugger with the ND.
    I would cool it too...
    maybe take that pole out in the BG?
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 14, 2010
    Re-processed as per suggestions
    866690471_ATFEH-XL-1.jpg
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    I like the reprocessed version. You're getting more details in the upper part of the falls and the slightly bluer water draws your eye there right away.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Hi Dan,

I'll also go with the second version. I find this shot to be very appealing.clap.gifclap

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    I guess I'm a rebel, because I like the original version better.

The warmer colors remind me of the coveted golden sunrise/sunset light that all photographers seek, while the cooler photo actually makes the browns and tans on the ground seem more like boring old dirt seen in the harsher light of mid-day.

The cooler version does seem to bring out more highlights in the water, and softens the shadows that fall on the falls and the intermediate pool.

If I had my druthers, I'd like to see everything inside the rocks cool, and everything outside the rocks warm. I wonder if that could be done in Pphotoshop without making it look fake or clunky?
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Oh ya Dan, I do like the second one better. Very nice!!

I often find myself hesitant to really make many comments on others photos, as I feel that I am still new enough at this, that I do not care to offend anyone at all!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    Really lovely setting. 2nd version is best for me. Don't you just love the 10 stop filters (except for having to compose before you put it on then calculating the 10 stop adjustment)!
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    absolutely gorgeous! i prefer the second version, but only barely.. is that a natural cascade? it almost looks man-made!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    Awesome shot and processing Dan!