Portraits of the Homeless: Austin, TX

OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
edited September 4, 2005 in People
Hey all -

My first post on this forum and i've heard great things about this forum so i'm thrilled to be here. I occassionally (too many S's or Ls? :scratch ) post on dpreview when i can.

Anyway, recently i've been walking the streets trying to get pictures of the homeless. Not only for the sake of capturing their face but hopefully some of their spirit. I'm fascinated and very curious as how and why a grown adult would live on the streets, where their family is, how they ended up in this condition, etc. I plan to do a mini-bio (with better grammar and more insight) on some of these mystical people in the future.

Hope you enjoy them and please nit-pick, i'm trying to get better :)

31502770-M.jpg

ABOVE: He was sitting on the sidewalk pan-handling with a buddy of his. Asked where he and his friends live, he mentioned a place called the "bat cave" (likely named cos of the huge bat colony under the Congress bridge in Austin, which is the largest in N. America). Originally from Beaumont, TX but prefers Austin (can't blame him).

Unfortunately, I did not get his name but he seemed genuinely happy and one of the nicest man I have met. Also the first homless person I ever met.

31502820-M.jpg

ABOVE: "Dragon" was sitting by the stairs of a church on the Drag when I approached him. He was relaxed and calm and rolling tobacco. After commenting on the approaching thunderstorms, he recognize I wasn't "All-American" and told me his parents were Iranian - which was interesting to me. He has a rule of not asking women w/ children or old people for money.

This may have been the last picture of him before he eloped to East Coast by jumping freight trains.

31502827-M.jpg

ABOVE: He was a hesitant to have his picture taken so I didn't bother him with any questions.

Thanks for looking... more to come
-sohil

EDIT: All taken with F717 in case anyone wants to know

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    G'day & welcome to the forum OWM. Great set of introductory shots. Really love that 1st one, nicely done.

Gus
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Yeah that first one is great! It's a lifestyle that catches a lot of flak, but it's definitely interesting for sure. Thanks for the pics. xzicon_smile_cool.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    G'day One Way.

Good series and the short insight into each person is excellent. You are definitely both caring and brave as I know many people are hesitant to approach the homeless, let alone take such upfront photos. B&W is definitely the way to go with this topic. The first guy looks like he'd talk to you for ages, Dragon looks like an "interesting" person for sure and the last guy does look a bit standoffish.

Look forward to more from you...

Lucky
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • GMonet71GMonet71 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    While I went UT from 90-95' the gentleman in the first photo was spending his days on Guadalupe (the street w/ all the UT Co-ops). It is intresting that I still remember him.
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Welcome to Dgrin!
    Great set of photos and great idea. Living in New York I have come across many homeless folks and wish I had enough guts to strike a conversation and photograph them. My favorite was a guy with a sign that read Please donate to the United Negro Pizza Fund. I am always a sucker for a good laugh so he ate well that night.
  • OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Good series and the short insight into each person is excellent. You are definitely both caring and brave as I know many people are hesitant to approach the homeless, let alone take such upfront photos. B&W is definitely the way to go with this topic. The first guy looks like he'd talk to you for ages, Dragon looks like an "interesting" person for sure and the last guy does look a bit standoffish.

Look forward to more from you...
    Lucky - B&W catches the mood like nothing else. The same way the short insight into each person helps one better understand the subject, I hope to introduce color in the same manner. Thanks for you kind words.

While I went UT from 90-95' the gentleman in the first photo was spending his days on Guadalupe (the street w/ all the UT Co-ops). It is intresting that I still remember him.
    GMonet71 - Thats amazing you still remember him after 10+ years! He does tend to stand out and I think his eyes shows much of his spirit. And i did catch all these guys on the infamous Drag.

Great set of photos and great idea. Living in New York I have come across many homeless folks and wish I had enough guts to strike a conversation and photograph them. My favorite was a guy with a sign that read Please donate to the United Negro Pizza Fund. I am always a sucker for a good laugh so he ate well that night.
    4labs - I admit I have to build up the courage everytime i approach someone. But I've found it amazing that so many are willing to talk so openly and honestly about themselves to a total stranger. It may be becos homeless are looked down upon in our society and pushed to the side so when someone does come and sincerely ask about them, then its like talking to a friend. And there's def. something to appreciate about those who stand with signs like "Need $$$ for beer" :D

Thank you all for the compliments and the encouragement! It really helps to get the positive/constructive feedback from all of you :):
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Welcome to digrin Mule! wave.gif..
  • GMonet71GMonet71 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    You should try 6th street on Halloween since it is coming around. I think you would get a camera full of "colorful" shots. I know one year you would have caught myself cross dressing, *blames it on 1drink.gif*. Someone got my photo that night and I wish I had it.
  • OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Welcome to digrin Mule! wave.gif..
    Thanks lynnma wave.gif
    GMonet71 wrote:
    You should try 6th street on Halloween since it is coming around. I think you would get a camera full of "colorful" shots. I know one year you would have caught myself cross dressing, *blames it on 1drink.gif*. Someone got my photo that night and I wish I had it.
    Oh ya, that would be crazy for sure. My camera really cant handle low light very well but a great challenge for sure.

And i'd bet you'd pay big $$$ for that shot of yours now huh? :D
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Spasibo for your great photos and interesting stories!
    Yuri
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    I love all three of them. But the first one.. wow.. This man makes me almost sad but at the same time, it makes me happy.. when I first looked at the picture it put a smile on my face. All three of these men seem to have amazing stories to share and its too bad the third man was skeptical. Do you happen to have any more pics of these guys or of others?? ? They're amazing photographs! -Jamie
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe