Options

Beach Lighting

FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited May 16, 2010 in Technique
On Sunday I have a photoshoot, we are doing it at a beach at around 10:00, I know the lighting isn't going to be the greatest, but I plan on doing a lot of backlit with a fill flash in front, I am also going to make a large diffuser with some PVC pipes and a white sheet, do you think that is the best way to approach this? Also I promise between 1-2 hours, with kids you never know, now I just got an email that her friend would like pictures the same day. I would say to her from 12-2 five or take, are those hours going to be absolutely the worst? Should I see if she can do later? The only thing is the beach is not that close to me that it really makes sense to go home and come back later.

Any advice? tips? suggestions?
Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~

Comments

• Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Fstoplife wrote: »
    On Sunday I have a photoshoot, we are doing it at a beach at around 10:00, I know the lighting isn't going to be the greatest, but I plan on doing a lot of backlit with a fill flash in front, I am also going to make a large diffuser with some PVC pipes and a white sheet, do you think that is the best way to approach this?
    What do you plan to diffuse -- the sun or your flash? Makes a big difference how you build the diffuser! :-)
    I would say to her from 12-2 [give] or take, are those hours going to be absolutely the worst?
    Short answer: YES. Unless you're lucky and get an overcast day. Without clouds, the light is going to be quite harsh at that time. However, if you diffuse the sun with the sheet, you may be OK.

Also, you didn't mention what type of flash you're using. If a shoe-mount type of flash, (a) you'll need a pretty powerful one to overcome sunlight, if it's not overcast (and depending how far the flash is from the subject), (b) if you use a diffuser, remember that will rob probably a stop of more of power from your flash, arguing for an even more powerful flash.

Hopefully you can shoot with the flash off-camera ... that would help. Some diffusion is good, also.

Last tip: careful with big diffusers on the beach. If it's windy out there -- well, I'm sure your imagination can figure it out. You might need to really weight down the base to hold that big "sail" in place, no matter how it's oriented. (good news: there is LOTS of sand there, to use for weights!)
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    On Sunday I have a photoshoot, we are doing it at a beach at around 10:00, I know the lighting isn't going to be the greatest, but I plan on doing a lot of backlit with a fill flash in front, I am also going to make a large diffuser with some PVC pipes and a white sheet, do you think that is the best way to approach this? Also I promise between 1-2 hours, with kids you never know, now I just got an email that her friend would like pictures the same day. I would say to her from 12-2 five or take, are those hours going to be absolutely the worst? Should I see if she can do later? The only thing is the beach is not that close to me that it really makes sense to go home and come back later.

What gear are you using ? See if your camera can do high-fp flash [ linked to my blog ] and think twice about that diffuser - if you are only using fill-flash and the sun is your main light source then direct flash dialed back won't look so bad .
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Desmond wrote: »
    What gear are you using ? See if your camera can do high-fp flash [ linked to my blog ] and think twice about that diffuser - if you are only using fill-flash and the sun is your main light source then direct flash dialed back won't look so bad .
    I agree, direct flash would certainly be more helpful than harmful, if the alternative is direct, harsh (high-contrast) midday sunlight.

But diffusing the sunlight would still be a big win, if you can pull that off -- either using an overcast sky (if you're lucky) or by bringing your own diffuser of some sort and placing it over the subjects, out of the frame.

Also, be sure to check white balance. It may need adjustment (perferably custom white balance setting) if you're shooting with the subjects in shade or under a diffuser that's not perfectly neutral.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010

Sorry for the late arrival!

Sounds like you're creating a Sail: White Sheet+PVC+Beach= Sailing in the Wind

As for the times of day...I say go for it...use the light best you can just by being observant of what you see that you like and then go with that. Fill flash, even on camera can work done subtly. A white Sheet with Rocks on all four corners lying flat on the sand can help reflect lots of light too. As for diffusing the Sun...I don't think so...usually windy at beaches, right?

good Luck today!
    tom wise
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 16, 2010
    Here's what you need or maybe this

Not cheap, but works great. If you do this kind of shooting often, you will want something like this somehow.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin