Supreme Elegance Is Always Stylish

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited May 17, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
This is a 1933 Packard 1005 Convertible Coupe. This one is the first one made out of only 50 produced that year. Packards of this genre were, along with Dusenbergs, the most desirable cars produced in America. The engine in this car is a 445 C.I. V-12 producing 160 HP. Very few of these cars remain because, when they were badly damaged, their engines were salvaged for marine use or to power certain types of farm equipment. Very few people, even car nuts, know that the early Packard engines were the inspiration for Enzo Ferrari's first racing engines. This car is just stunning.

866755728_iwFrt-XL.jpg

866755894_H8ij7-L.jpg

866763321_76Zo4-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Hi Tom,
    Love shot #2. It's so hard to figure out where to crop on shots like this and I think you nailed it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Wow Tom (seems like every reply to your posts starts out with WOW or some such OMG expression ne_nau.gif )
    This automobile (I daren't call it a mere car) is the epitome of grand elegance. And you've captured that essence well as usual.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    If it's a Packard, it's stunning. If Tom shot it, you can easily see why. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    That's my kind of car -- would love to travel the coastline in that :D
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Funny coincidence: I have sitting on my desk right now a copy of Popular Mechanics Magazine from February 1953. One of the feature articles is "American Engineers Look At Foreign Cars." A quote from the article: "Americans will never accept an undersize car." - Edward Macauley, Chief Engineer, Packard Motor Company.

Anyway, I think this Packard is one of the most elegant and beautiful cars you've shown us here, Tom.
    thumb.gif
    Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 16, 2010
    vintagemxr wrote: »
    "Americans will never accept an undersize car." - Edward Macauley, Chief Engineer, Packard Motor Company.
    And 640K of memory should be enough for anybody. rolleyes1.gif
    vintagemxr wrote: »
    Anyway, I think this Packard is one of the most elegant and beautiful cars you've shown us here, Tom.
    thumb.gif
    Doug
    15524779-Ti.gif Just fantastic. clap.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    Hi Liz,

You're right. It is tough sometimes trying to settle on the best framing for a close-up shot. Most of the time, the subject will, more or less, dictate those parameters. Other times, extraneous elements will come into play. On occasion, I get it right....often I don't.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited May 16, 2010
    Yo Jack,

Thanks for the kind words. The " epitome of grand elegance " surely sums up the stature of this automobile.

Be safe,

Tom
    edited May 16, 2010
    Hi Lee,

Thanks for the nice comment. Luckily for me, at these higher-caliber shows there seems to always be a wonderful contingent of older Packards. My mother learned to drive in one of them and I was always fascinated at her stories of those times.

Take care,

Tom
    edited May 17, 2010
    Hi Mary,

I'm with you gal. Some pretty scenery, cruising around in this car.....a great way to spend some time for sure.

Take care,

Tom
    edited May 17, 2010
    Hey Doug,

It's great to hear from you. Many thanks for that interesting little side tidbit. It's always interesting to see what changes in a populations' philosophies can be brought about by financial realities. I really miss the big cars......been shopping recently for some big chrome monster from the '55 to '59 era.

Be well,

Tom
    edited May 17, 2010
    Hey Richard,

Thanks for looking in. I appreciate the kind remark.

Tom