Hangout

rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited May 17, 2010 in Street and Documentary
867085271_m2cYG-XL.jpg

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Seems a bit murky (muddy :) ) to me.

Reminds me of 'the wall', which was the 'hangout in my home town (Bristol, RI) as seen in the background of this image.

I'm the photog on the post with a Yashica D, 1976, Fourth of July. eek7.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited May 15, 2010
    I like the idea of this, but find the bright bit below the flowers distracting. I would try an alternate crop.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Seems a bit murky (muddy :) ) to me.

Reminds me of 'the wall', which was the 'hangout in my home town (Bristol, RI) as seen in the background of this image.

I'm the photog on the post with a Yashica D, 1976, Fourth of July. eek7.gif

Don

Wow, a bicentenial shot of you -- with a camera, no less!

Maybe muddy, but somewhat unavoidable in trying to capture and process this dynamic range in this "compositional" attempt.

Thanks!
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I like the idea of this, but find the bright bit below the flowers distracting. I would try an alternate crop.

Well, I would hope you like the idea since it is your photos that are pushing me to look for settings with "compositional" elements as a new challenge for my shots... mwink.gif

Anyway, per your guidance/suggestion:
    868759333_UwTPm-XL.jpg

It takes out the bright foreground negative space, but I am not sure it loses the strength of that diagonal negative space. Or what about making it even more prominent by cropping from the top to balance the elements more?
    868772492_aj2sv-XL.jpg

Thoughts?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited May 17, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    Thoughts?
    It probably won't surprise you that I prefer #2 lol3.gif. IMO, the diagonal is not strong enough to earn its keep as an element of composition here and the blank white space is just, well, blank white space. ne_nau.gif