Street Vendor - Battery Park

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited May 15, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Does the head shot work? Would the original be better in color as shown or B&W and why? Trying to get a better feeling for when color works. Some folks say "if color doesn't add anything get rid of it". I tend to feel that if color doesn't detract then keep it.

1. Head shot crop
867149759_nRYPb-XL.jpg

2. Original Image
867158583_vzata-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Some folks say "if color doesn't add anything get rid of it". I tend to feel that if color doesn't detract then keep it.

I think either approach works. There are definitely some that work better in one format, but often the difference is only a matter of preference.

In your pics, I prefer the color as the skin tone is well-captured and appears too blown out in the b&w version. And the colors are pleasing to me in clothing and background.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Hi Jack,
    As a street portrait, I like the black and white version as well as the tighter crop--the color one is kind of blah for me, but not hte B&W.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    I think either approach works. There are definitely some that work better in one format, but often the difference is only a matter of preference.

In your pics, I prefer the color as the skin tone is well-captured and appears too blown out in the b&w version. And the colors are pleasing to me in clothing and background.

Thanks for looking and the comments rainbow. If only we could quantify the factors involved to make the decision (B&W or color), a set of rules as it were. Guess thats just my math and science background feeling uneasy in unfamiliar terrain ne_nau.gif

Jack
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Hi Jack,
    As a street portrait, I like the black and white version as well as the tighter crop--the color one is kind of blah for me, but not hte B&W.

Thanks for the input Liz. The olor version appeals to me on some levels but I think the B&W better portrays what I wanted to capture here.

Jack