7d infrared and Third Party Flashes

Sh4d0wSh4d0w Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited May 19, 2010 in Cameras
Does the 7D's sensor set off third party flashes, such as the Sigma EF-530 DG ST, or something similar?
My Gear At the Moment: Brand New 7D (My Baby), 50mm 1.8 (Plastic Fantastic)

Comments

• Sh4d0wSh4d0w Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Sh4d0w wrote: »
    Does the 7D's sensor set off third party flashes, such as the Sigma EF-530 DG ST, or something similar?

Or maybe a better question, what flashes are compatible with canon's infrared system?
    My Gear At the Moment: Brand New 7D (My Baby), 50mm 1.8 (Plastic Fantastic)
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    I believe Sigma is the only 3rd-party flash that works with Canon's ETTL, but I could be wrong (Ziggy'll be yer man on that subject, I'm sure!)

How much flash power do you need?

The 430ex/II, 550ex, and 580ex/II are all good flashes and can be picked up for reasonable prices used and as refurbs. Since you have the built-in controller on the 7d, you don't necessarily "need" a flash that can act as a master, so the 430 (which can act as a slave) is a perfectly reasonable workaday flash unless you need the stronger output of the 5xx series.

I personally prefer the original versions (not the II) since they have external switches for some functions which became menu-based in the II models.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 15, 2010
    Sh4d0w wrote: »
    Or maybe a better question, what flashes are compatible with canon's infrared system?

I intermingle my Canon 580EX along with my Sigma 500 DG Super and 530 DG Super flashes and they have good compatibility, from my tests, regarding IR wireless signals (using either as master/slave), but distance is more limited than I would like. I do think that the Canon 580EX has the strongest wireless transmitter.

If you shoot in a white or light colored room up to a 20' x 10' you are probably OK. Darker rooms or larger sized rooms and the reliability is poorer to bad. Outdoors is not useful.

Sigma calls their channels and groups by different names, compared to Canon.

Generally, I prefer using an RF master/slave system and running the remote flashes in manual mode. This would be true even if I had all Canon units. The RF system is much more reliable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ntotrrntotrr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    I believe Sigma is the only 3rd-party flash that works with Canon's ETTL, but I could be wrong (Ziggy'll be yer man on that subject, I'm sure!)

How much flash power do you need?

The 430ex/II, 550ex, and 580ex/II are all good flashes and can be picked up for reasonable prices used and as refurbs. Since you have the built-in controller on the 7d, you don't necessarily "need" a flash that can act as a master, so the 430 (which can act as a slave) is a perfectly reasonable workaday flash unless you need the stronger output of the 5xx series.

I personally prefer the original versions (not the II) since they have external switches for some functions which became menu-based in the II models.

There are a number of 3rd party flashes that work with Canon's ETTL system besides Sigma. I use a Nissin Di866. There is also the Promaster 7500EDF (with the proper firmware version), Metz has some units, and Vivitar. I'm sure there are others to add to the list.