Self Portrait

thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
edited September 5, 2005 in People
Hello,
I took this today. In the harsh light coming in from my kitchen. I converted to black and white and played around with the brightness/contrast to give it the harsh feel I wanted.
I think I hurt my eye looking into the sun too much. Oh, what pains the photographer must take!
Thanks for looking, I would love comments- tear me apart if you so want. Have a nice day.
Smile!
Ashley
x1pAdjo0uCo2H3HRsxOzpwU9ciefy9MZRRm0yTfnvJm9GHH8eipdrBm4brXmZ1w5ZKyDK7KAzIDJAwhnTCL622aPprhcTh8UVo-22c_uDwxkp3KMhjS2XW4vEuqum_AYhomXuuT-OO79YCxJn-uCm2AUA
Green is the way to be!
ashleyharding.smugmug.com

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 17, 2005
    way to take on in the name of photography lol3.gif

I dig it. I might even mess with it, blow it out even more to really make your right eye not even visible at all - it'd make your left eye really pop. Great as it is though.
    thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    I like it Ashley,
    Your treatment lends itself well to the mood you set in the shot. I agree with Erik that you could play with it some and see what else you get, not that there is anything wrong with it as it is. The top fight corner could be darkened so it doesn't stand out so much which draws the eye away from the portrait. I wouldn't have thought to do this to this portrait, but it works well. Good Jobthumb.gif.

All in the name of your art.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    How do you like me now?
    Thanks for the comments.
    I did two things to these next shots. The first I darkened the right corner, because even though I like the lines of my ear they do distract, and darkened my right eye out.
    In the second I went color. I tried to take as much red out as I could- my face is pretty red since I get burned and not tanned- which was exagerated by contrasting. Just small touch ups.
    Ashley
    x1pAdjo0uCo2H3HRsxOzpwU9ciefy9MZRRm0yTfnvJm9GHWImnML6M4nsLGw5O_HhtXLmkPoGK_mGNnT4x-T0-ifl_QLqmwPK5c2GNLDjfZvHAZqODlb63PKik-bWpnNC9cDUvfHslVLMQCb27resil2w

x1pAdjo0uCo2H3HRsxOzpwU9ciefy9MZRRm0yTfnvJm9GEJvEmkR2-mVjwMMZu2qPCSg7BvxY4S_lxLqP4YkWpwbLNXNd_RVn_crz9FzVCfGe0h4a1dUeqsrUG0UHYg81mZtdXWtqnU3QDuUyf6AAjX8w
    Green is the way to be!
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Hi Ashly,
    Actually, I liked the ear in there as it helped offset the dark corner and the hand in the opposite corner. I was just referring to the small white part above the ear. I too like the lines (highlights/shadows) the ear made, but maybe higher key to fit the rest of the pix.

I like the darker shadow on the face. I also like the color version you made. The red skin tones I think work here as the colors seem really saturated. Together it works for methumb.gif.

I understand the tight crop in the B&W ones because of the fingers on your cheek. I think the color one would do better with the same crop you used on the B&W ones.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    haha wow i definately like these pictures.. im not sure how i like it though.. colour or b&w.. lol i think if you didn't have freckles the picture wouldn't have an almost .. hmm innocent (?) sort of feel to it.. Hmm I dont think innocent is the right word.. lol oh well I tried.. -Jamie
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    Like anything you have to live with I forget I have freckles most of the time until I look at myself in pictures and go "Whoa! Where did those come from!". Thanks for the comments.
    Ashley
    P.S.- Welcome to dgrin. I hope you post something soon, I'd love to see it
    Green is the way to be!