new guy thinks he should get a t1i, should I go w/ costco?

GoldenGatePoolGoldenGatePool Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited May 25, 2010 in Cameras
I'm another transplant from Advrider. AAAARRGGGHHH!!!!
I need to take a lot of billiards shots, w/o flash. I run a pool league.
All the shots are no flash indoor applications w/ decent distance, can't disturb the game.
I somehow did research and found that a canon rebel t1i is a good fit.
Have done some dark room stuff, but since the digital age I pretty much stick w/ the sd/elph cameras. It's not cutting it anymore.

what do you think I should get? Don't want to spend extra, not a pro...

I see this deal at costco, I know there are tons of them on amazon and other places. I'm usually a bargain shopper, spend days finding the best price.
My last laptop purchase was from Costco, I liked the way it worked. :)

Should I go w/ this deal?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11536255&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|83&N=4040592&Mo=13&No=13&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=87150&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

• Canon Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera Body
  • Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens
  • Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS Lens
  • Canon Rebel Gadget Bag
  • 4GB SD Card
  • Mini HDMI Cable
  • Rechargeable <st1:place w:st="on">Battery</st1:place> Pack
  • <st1:place w:st="on">Battery</st1:place> Charger
  • AV Cable
  • USB Interface Cable
  • Wide Strap
  • EOS Digital Solution Disk
  • EOS Rebel T1i Guide with Rick Sammon DVD
  • "Great Photography is Easy" Booklet
for $899 shipped, + tax.

I'm so worn out w/ my business, thinking this could work.
I'm out of touch on lenses and everything, do you have a better package idea for me? I might even take a class over the summer.
shoot me poor gas over me and flame away, tell me what you think, really.
Almost jumped the gun, got a better package for my use for $1K, you will be my new god... :)

Ned

what should I do, beginne, costco canon rebel t1i package 5 votes

just buy the costco package
20%
Coney_Island_Gary 1 vote
doood, I'll post a different idea
40%
Zanotticatspaw 2 votes
nooooo!!!! you are getting robbed
20%
Art Scott 1 vote
are you high?
0%
you are a dumbass!
20%
Grainbelt 1 vote

Comments

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Great set up. The lenses are not particularly suited to indoor shots.

You will need high ISO (camera sensitivity) and wide (low number) aperatures to collect more light.

This is of course very confusing for a new DSLR person. Many will chime in with alternatives, but in the end - YMMV.

Welcome to the more sane forum compared to ADV Rider!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • GoldenGatePoolGoldenGatePool Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Zanotti wrote: »
    Great set up. The lenses are not particularly suited to indoor shots.

You will need high ISO (camera sensitivity) and wide (low number) aperatures to collect more light.

This is of course very confusing for a new DSLR person. Many will chime in with alternatives, but in the end - YMMV.

Welcome to the more sane forum compared to ADV Rider!

Z
    Thanks Z,
    maybe I need a decent body w/ other lenses. Looking forward to learning more again. I'm a little tired surfing to find the best deal.
  • starlightstarlight Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    For starters, from what I can tell, almost everything on that list is part of the normal Rebel/kit lense package, so they really aren't doing you many favours...aside from listing what's in the box. Neither lense is particularly fast, so both are likely unsuited for what you're doing. One idea is to get the kit and sell the lenses (kit lenses are heavily discounted) to fund a much more suitable one (ie better for low-light).

Depending on your budget...it sounds like you'll be best off to get the newest (ie best ISO for low light) Rebel you can afford and the 50mm 1.8 II ($100ish dollars). If all you're doing is shooting poolhall shots and you have a budget, that combo will get you usable shots. That said, my favourite semi-low-light lense is still my 100mm Macro 2.8...as long as there is enough light it's one of the sharpest lenses I have. Selling the kit lenses might be what it takes to get you the newest Rebel and a couple of good low-light lenses (50-85mm f/1.8 or f/1.4).
  • canonboycanonboy Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    I agree with the previous posters. The Canon T1i is already a great camera body. Actually, the Canon T2i just came out a couple months ago, so you can also consider that camera, too. At this point in your photography, I don't think the issue is getting a better camera body. The issue really is getting a better lens(es).

The important thing for your indoor billiards photography is to get a lens that is ideal for low-light photography. (lenses for low-light photography are also often known as "fast" lenses) For low-light photography, you'll need to look for a lens with a large aperture (small f-number). At the very minimum, you'll want a lens with an aperture of f/2.8 or larger (smaller f-number).

As mentioned earlier, perhaps the biggest bang for your buck in terms of a low-light lens would be the Canon 50mm f/1.8 for about $100.

Go back and look at your previous billiards photos to see what focal lengths you're typically using. Are most of your photos in the normal focal lengths (ex. 30-50mm) or are they mostly in the telephoto focal lengths (ex. 70mm or more)? Your answer to this question will help guide you to one of the lenses below.

There are several other options for low-light lenses:
    • Sigma 30mm f/1.4, $439 (link to B&H)
    • Canon 50mm f/1.8, $100 - your best value! (link to B&H)
    • Canon 50mm f/1.4, $370 (link to B&H)
    • Canon 85mm f/1.8, $379 (link to B&H)
    • Canon 100mm f/2, $435 (link to B&H)

Note the larger apertures (smaller f-numbers) of these lenses. These apertures are all larger than f/2.8 (ie. all the f-numbers are smaller than f/2.8). That's what you're looking for. Also, please note that these are prime lenses (ie. fixed focal length), so there is no zooming with these lenses.

If you're looking for *zoom* lenses that are also large aperture, then you're gonna be paying a LOT more (ie. thousands of dollars more). The largest zoom lens aperture will be f/2.8. There are no zoom lenses with apertures larger than f/2.8.

Anyway, I personally would go with either the Canon T1i / T2i kit PLUS at least one of the above lenses for your low-light billiards photography. Hope that helps!
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    you are a dumbass!
    No 'F Loaded' option on the poll, so I chose the next best selection. lol3.gif

Poster above me is right, you'll want a faster lens than either kit offering, IS or otherwise. Unless you see a use for the 50-250, buy a kit without it and spend the difference on one of the above lenses. your other option is to get a good external flash and bounce it off the ceiling, unless 'no flash' is a hard and fast rule.

Happy Shopping!
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    Thanks Z,
    maybe I need a decent body w/ other lenses. Looking forward to learning more again. I'm a little tired surfing to find the best deal.

You know that there is no need to surf the net for pricing. B&H and Adorama continually prove to have the lowest pricing and best service. Focus more on what you want to buy and simply go to one of these vendors to purchase.

If you find a low ball deal, its usually fake.
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    I just checked it out, seems Costco isn't throwing the extra year warranty that sucks.

I wouldn't fear buying from them compared to B&H, Costco is the best with returns that I have ever experienced. If it breaks you get a new one of equal value.

As to the deal, you are getting the 55-200 IS for 100 dollars which isn't bad.

Honestly I would go for a used 40D or D90 if you are open to Nikon, then use the rest for a good telephoto zoom. Holding a rebel with a 70-200 sized lens is possible it just is slightly awkward with such a small body.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    You know that there is no need to surf the net for pricing. B&H and Adorama continually prove to have the lowest pricing and best service. Focus more on what you want to buy and simply go to one of these vendors to purchase.

If you find a low ball deal, its usually fake.

right always check B&H and adorama - but I would get the newer Canon T2i (550D) !
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    My pick to start...the T2i with it's superior low light performance and the 85mm F1.8. The new T2i has usable ISO 6400 and combined with the 85 f1.8...you should be able to shoot anything you want in low light. And, aren't' the pool tables lighted pretty well anyways. The 85 f1.8 on the T2i would actually be something like a 135mm lens with the T2i's crop factor, so you wouldn't have to get right up on them...and with the 18 mp sensor...cropping the image the way you like it would be a snap.

This camera also has the 7d sensor and 30 fps HD video (improved over the T1i). You may want to shoot some video once in a while. It has the 7d's new metering system...a nice improvement in technology over it's predecessor. You are basically buying a mini 7D...and the T2i out specs the the 50D in many areas...this from dPreview.com.

I'm a proponent of buying the best you can afford up front...it's just as easy to use T2i as the T1i...and the T2i is better technologically. If you spend $899 for outdated technology...you're only going to want to upgrade sooner...

And, if you have higher usable ISO, then lenses formerly not suitable for low light, may be usable.

The T2i body is $899, plus the 85mm f1.8 f2.8 will only cost you an additional $382, Adorama or B&H, is a much better deal as far as I'm concerned.

The 85mm f1.8 is a very nice lens. The downside is that you have to zoom with your feet.

Unfortunately, the T2i is currently out of stock ...so you'll have to put your name on a list...but, if it were me...that's what I'd do.

Hope this helps.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    agreed...for no-flash indoor billards, get the T2i plus a fast lens.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    nooooo!!!! you are getting robbed
    you need a good high iso body...I shoot nikon so I would suggest a used D300 and a sigma used lenses or 2...probably the 70-200 f2.8 or the 17-70 3.5-4.....this set up will save you money and allow you to grow if you wish to.....it will also have a decent resell value if you so decide to do that also. or some thing in the canon family like D50 or 7 used and the same sigma lenses........in a lot of low light bar situations I find that manually focus is also faster for me.....concerts in bars so very low light and I came from manual focus film cameras to digital so old habits are hard to break me of.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    You know that there is no need to surf the net for pricing. B&H and Adorama continually prove to have the lowest pricing and best service.....

Thank you for the mention; we do always try our best to ensure that Adorama's competitive pricing is matched by our speedy shipping and commitment to customer service...wings.gif
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com