Options

API feature request for smugmug.categories.get

MarcusTMarcusT Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited September 20, 2011 in SmugMug API Support & Integrations
smugmug.albums.get has a boolean parameter "Empty" which controls whether empty albums are returned.

I request that the same parameter should be added to smugmug.categories.get so that I can easily retrieve a list of categories which actually contain albums (surely a common requirement), instead of blindly including every single one that exists, which is the current behaviour.

If there are other API methods which do not currently have such a parameter to filter out empties, then please add it to them too.

I would also like a way to retrieve a count of the number of albums in each category in the same call, I suggest an "Extras" parameter should be added (and documented) to achieve this.

And finally, until these parameters are added, what is the most efficient method of determining which categories do contain albums?

Comments

• Options
    edited November 28, 2010
    **bump**
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2011
    Still no response from a SmugMug API dev, so perhaps can someone suggest an efficient way to achieve the same end result - i.e. to retrieve a list of categories which actually contain albums, not ALL of them?
  • Options
    MSkaffariMSkaffari Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2011
    MarcusT wrote: »
    Still no response from a SmugMug API dev, so perhaps can someone suggest an efficient way to achieve the same end result - i.e. to retrieve a list of categories which actually contain albums, not ALL of them?

Hi Marcus

The categories are global, so even if a specific user doesn't have galleries in certain category, someone else does. Albums are handled differently as they are always specific to a user.

You can use smugmug.users.getTree to retrieve the categories/sub-categories and albums. This method suports 'empty' parameter

http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/API/show+1.3.0?method=smugmug.users.getTree