Too many pics open in CS4 ? Plugin fails - Help!

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited May 17, 2010 in Finishing School
I am using CS4 32Bit w/ Windows 7 64 Bit OS. I am using the graphics card acceleration with OpenGL. For whatever reason, the filter Nik 'Silver Efex Pro' (for black and whites) stops working after I have about 20-25 photos open in Photoshop. There is no error message at all. After clicking on the plugin, it starts the normal start up process (creating layers etc) but never finishes.

Anyone have an idea of what might be causing this?
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• EnitsuguaEnitsugua Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    net1994 wrote: »
    I am using CS4 32Bit w/ Windows 7 64 Bit OS. I am using the graphics card acceleration with OpenGL. For whatever reason, the filter Nik 'Silver Efex Pro' (for black and whites) stops working after I have about 20-25 photos open in Photoshop. There is no error message at all. After clicking on the plugin, it starts the normal start up process (creating layers etc) but never finishes.

Anyone have an idea of what might be causing this?

Out of memory.
  • net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    But when I close out all photos but one, the 'memory in use' does not change at all. It just sits at 3.2 GB of RAM being used by PSP!! What can I change to fix this?
    Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    Why would you would have 25 images open at one time?

My CS4 32 bit would run out of memory, slow down, crash, etc if I asked it to do too much.

I just got CS5 running in 64 bits and it hasn't run out of memory yet. It is also over all faster.

Sam
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 17, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Why would you would have 25 images open at one time?

Yes, that was the first thing I wondered. headscratch.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 17, 2010
    With a 4 Gb of RAM limit in 32 bit CS, you will not be happy with that many open files. I rarely open more than two or three - but them my files are frequently 1 Gb apiece at times or more.

I am really looking forward to the 64 btit CS5 which will no longer have that RAM limit any longer. We will be wanting 16 Gb or more of RAM very quickly for our machines, I know I will.

I find most of the plug ins cough with very large files. I like the Topaz plug ins, but I do not think they are really happy with 1 Gb files either.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin