Sigma 70-300mm macro on a canon 1000D

express1express1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 18, 2010 in Cameras
hello
I reasently brought a new Canon 1000D, it came with a 18-55mm lens, but i also use a canon 28-80 lens. But i'm having problems using a sigma 70-300mm macro lens on it, as everytime i want to take a photo, the lens seems to jam and the screen comes up with a warning on it saying please clean the connectors. Well this is a brand new camara,not onlt that the other two lenses i discribed above work ok without any problems.

Can anyone please help me out here to what is wrong ?

regrds
david

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 18, 2010
    A number of Sigma lenses have known communication issues with Canon cameras. If the lens works OK when you set the aperture wide open, then it is probably a communication issue that requires re-chipping the lens (which is not always an available option.)

I have 2 old Sigma lenses with the problem, a Sigma Aspherical 28mm, f1.8 and a Sigma 70-210mm, f2.8 APO. Both are lovely optics, and both have to be used wide open.

If this is a brand new lens with the problem it needs to be returned.

The equivalent Tamron 70-300mm consumer zooms do not seem to have any issues with modern Canon cameras.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2010
    that warning of clean the contacts could very well mean clean the contacts on the lens.......not your brand new camera.......just a thought.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website