Options

Audubon Magazine Photography Awards 2010: Call for Entries

EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
edited May 19, 2010 in Wildlife
I just got an email notification from them and their contest in now open for submissions. I just thought I'd let you guys know, I've seen some great shots and know we have capable people here. :thumb

http://www.audubonmagazinephotoawards.org/

There are some great prizes too.

Comments

• Options
    PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2010
    Cool, and I don't want to be a killjoy... but as with all contests, please make sure you read, understand, and agree to all of the terms and conditions.

"grant the Contest Entities the rights to the Submission herein granted, including but not limited to the worldwide copyright license, upon the terms and conditions set forth herein"

(this means they can print your photo all they want, presumably without compensation)

"Contest Entities and their designees have the right, unless prohibited by law, to use their names, cities and states of residence, voices, pictures and likenesses, without compensation, notification or approval, for the purpose of advertising and publicizing the goods and services of the Contest Entities and all matters related to the Contest, in any manner or medium, now or hereafter known, throughout the world in perpetuity"
    ("Contest Entities" may be the magazine as well as their sponsors - so as I read this, it appears that any sponsors of the contest can use your photos in their advertising, without compensation, forever and ever, amen)

By submitting your photo, as is true with most contests, you are giving basically ALL your rights away, and with many contests you are also limiting and/or losing your right to sell your photo to anyone else. Many contests are made just as a "photo collecting" scheme, and the "sponsor" then sells your photos as stock photos, etc. I am not saying Audubon would do this, but it's very common.

In this case, the total prize values are $20,000 (approx)... that's a pretty good deal for them considering they'd have "rights" to thousands upon thousands of entries.

That is why we, as a rule, NEVER submit to contests. The possible "return" on the lost rights and in-ability to sell the images in the future is nowhere near the benefit.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    For a hobbyist such as myself (who has no intention of marketing their work) this could be a way to have some fun and maybe get published. Some recognition is always nice.

I believe every word that PLV said...just the way it is.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    For a hobbyist such as myself (who has no intention of marketing their work) this could be a way to have some fun and maybe get published. Some recognition is always nice.

I believe every word that PLV said...just the way it is.

If you have a local camera club you're active in, ask if they are affiliated with the Photographic Society of America.......they usually sponsor a once a year Int'l Salon and those are very prestigious with only points accrued no monetary value and published in a Salon book..........the work sent in here from around the world was absolutely awesome............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website