Josh

JakeEbersoleJakeEbersole Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
edited May 20, 2010 in People
Getting sick of seeing my brother? Here's another informal shot from this afternoon. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jake

Click for larger image.
4620414500_8200e710f9.jpg
D200 and 50 1.8. 1/2000th, ISO 400, f/2.

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    Jake, I think this is one of your better portraits of your brother. I like the sharp eyes and shallow DOF. Your conversion is also quite good.

I'm wondering if you need to branch out a bit and get more creative with your composition and cropping. I'm a big fan of tight crops like this one, but I wonder if you could broaden your horizons with some more creative efforts.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    I like this shot a lot - soft light well exposed, sharp eyes, nice "meltaway" effect from the shallow dof and it's a lovely conversion (what did you use to convert?). Mitchell's point is a good one - it's a little "dead center and square on" and I might have preferred a little less off the top of the head - but it's still a good shot.
  • JakeEbersoleJakeEbersole Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    I like this shot a lot - soft light well exposed, sharp eyes, nice "meltaway" effect from the shallow dof and it's a lovely conversion (what did you use to convert?). Mitchell's point is a good one - it's a little "dead center and square on" and I might have preferred a little less off the top of the head - but it's still a good shot.

Thanks. I converted with CS3. I'm on my iMac right now which doesn't have PS, but when I get to my other computer I can tell you a more about how I did it. I'm about to go out right now to go take some more pics. I'll post those up in a bit.
  • CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    I agree with the other two comments. I will add that you seem to be listening to the comments you are getting and doing a nice job applying them. Keep them coming.
    David
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 19, 2010
    It's a nice portrait but the one thing I find "missing" is a little catch light in the eyes.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Steady improvement, Jake. I like that you are willing to take criticism from others, then use it to make your work better.

My next suggestion - Find a girl to photograph. Your brother is probably a great guy, but for some reason girls are much more inspiring. mwink.gif
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    It's a nice portrait but the one thing I find "missing" is a little catch light in the eyes.

Actually, I think a bit of dodging the existing highlights could bump it up; there's a natural-light catchlight there (at the top of each eye), it's just rather subtle as it stands.
  • JakeEbersoleJakeEbersole Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Caspian wrote: »
    I agree with the other two comments. I will add that you seem to be listening to the comments you are getting and doing a nice job applying them. Keep them coming.
    David

Thanks. I've got some shots from this evening that I really like that I'll post up here in a bit.
    ian408 wrote: »

I'll try and add that next time. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in everything I forget about the little things.
    Surfdog wrote: »
    Steady improvement, Jake. I like that you are willing to take criticism from others, then use it to make your work better.

My next suggestion - Find a girl to photograph. Your brother is probably a great guy, but for some reason girls are much more inspiring. mwink.gif

Yes, I agree 100%. Plus I can pose girls better than guys. Laughing.gif.
    divamum wrote: »
    Actually, I think a bit of dodging the existing highlights could bump it up; there's a natural-light catchlight there (at the top of each eye), it's just rather subtle as it stands.

I'll try that. Thanks.