Options

wich is the best domain company?

ppugappuga Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited August 18, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Hello all,

I have some problems with the domain and domain company where I buy my domain name a few weeks ago, I'm looking for another company to do this again with other domain name. This change it's mainly because the domain company where I buy (www.nic.mx a mexican one) doesn't give me the service and options smugmug needs, they only offers me reedirection that causes that the password protected galleries to not work, and the other way I have to give them the DNS, thing that I dont have. I mainly go with NIC.mx to have a .com.mx domain name, but now I doesn't care, just want one that works well with SM. (by the way SM offers an in incredible service.)

I have look in the help section of cobranding, and found this four:

joker (smugmug fav)
GoDaddy
Network Solutions
Register.com

So far, I've visited all, and it have different prices, but really similar, and all have different options, what I want, its a domain name I can use easyly with smugmug.

GoDaddy and Joker so far are the ones I like most just reading a little.

What do u recommend me?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    i use register.com and have had no probs with my smugmug custom domain name www.moonriverphotography.com

cheers
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    I use GoDaddy. It seems to work fine. The only troubles I've had are with cookies. Some customers can't use the password or can't place orders while using IE. I don't know if it has anything to do with GoDaddy or not...and me being a complete website moron can't tell or fix it.ne_nau.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Joker r0x0rs my s0x0rs...

Anyhow, setting up joker was super easy and I've never had any problems. They aren't nearly as flashy as some other sites *cough* GoDaddy *cough* :D
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 17, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Joker r0x0rs my s0x0rs...

Anyhow, setting up joker was super easy and I've never had any problems. They aren't nearly as flashy as some other sites *cough* GoDaddy *cough* :D
    Yeah, I like Joker the most as well. It is simple and not flashy, and provides all the features I wanted. I use them for my own. :)
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    portellimageryportellimagery Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    I will place my vote for HostPC
    I place my vote for HostPC. Been with them for over a year, cheap plans with more than enough size and transfer. They even have $30/year plan with 600MB storage and 10GB/month transfer. I have my second domain transfered to SmugMug and still have my email set up though HostPC. Their support is great, always getting back to you in under an hour.
    Portell Imagery - Photography by Micheal Portell
    www.portellimagery.com
    Portell Imagery - The Blog blog.portellimagery.com
    Speak Up Designs www.speakupdesigns.com
    Get your Portell Imagery 2006 Photography Calendar here
  • Options
    ChibiPhotographyChibiPhotography Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    I use pair.com and pairnic. Good prices, very reliable.

I setup my smugmug account as a CNAME record so store.chibiphotography.com points to Smug Mug and www.chibiphotography.com still points to my main website.

Sign up with pair nic using my Id and I get something back :): http://promote.pairnic.com/direct.pl?4360

Doug
    Doug Pearson
    Chibi Photography
    pix.chibiphotography.com
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    I'm at 1and1 and the prices for what you get seems very good. I've also had good dealings when I needed assistance.thumb.gif
  • Options
    kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Yahoo ain't bad actually. Frequently you can get service for $4.95 a year for up to five years if there is a deal on (normally $9.95).

Anyway, they do all the normal stuff - domain forwarding, A entries, CNAME, entries, etc. etc. Fairly easy interface. Must admit I did it because I'm a cheapskate and $5/yr is hard to beat. Sucessfully used URL forwarding until I upgraded to Pro at smugmug and its now doing CNAME successfully.
  • Options
    ppugappuga Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Well!

Thanks to all, now I have a lot of sites to look into, to make a Choice.

Thank you very much!

clap.gif
  • Options
    NaturalEyeNaturalEye Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    My hosting company wouldn't change the CNAME either, but you can use a (free) service like www.zoneedit.com to do it...

Gary
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 18, 2005
    landrum wrote:
    I use GoDaddy. It seems to work fine. The only troubles I've had are with cookies. Some customers can't use the password or can't place orders while using IE. I don't know if it has anything to do with GoDaddy or not...and me being a complete website moron can't tell or fix it.ne_nau.gif
    That would have to do with not having CNAME configured correctly. You have to ignore what GoDaddy says about it (hence the reason we don't *cough*like*cough*them).

If you don't do it this way, daddy just won't go:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/godaddy.mg