Options

My first EVER wedding, please be harsh!

lmyamenlmyamen Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited May 20, 2010 in Weddings
Ok so i just started interning with a wedding photographer and this was my very first wedding ever. I have alot of work ahead of me but i look forward to the challenge! These are just a couple from the wedding day i shot. Let me know how bad they are ha, i need criticism to get better!

4622232548_30c2cfbbfe_o.jpg
i really need to do some editing for touchups in this one later tonight.
4622221328_8cdefaca64_o.jpg
4621606035_e3a972f903.jpg
4. Wish i would of noticed the dress being folded up in this one =(
4621605873_0a0414b543.jpg
4621669081_14e30d55ef_o.jpg
4621675153_0d0eab3533.jpg
4621681797_fee20ace85.jpg
4621743835_6a3d1d1fcd.jpg

Comments

• Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    Be harsh? Your a jerk... wait.. no that's not right (I hope I didn't just cross a line). I wish my first wedding looked this good!

1. You've blown the dress and their hair/arm. Watch your hotspots. These will develop first in the red channel of your camera.
    2. Fix tilt & spot repairs on wall. I would probably crop this at the pipe running horizontally at the op and just below the couple feet on the bottom. Next time don't include the door or the window. Don't tilt the bride towards the camera - she looks uncomfortable.
    3. Crop off the far right side of the frame so the background is all brick wall. Be careful about chopping people at joints.
    4. Bad pose. Don't overlap them, there are no faces. No eyes=no connection.
    5. Bad tilt. Pipes are not used in a good way. Make sure you look all around your frame to see what you are choosing to include - why include part of the green letter?
    6. Good emotion.
    7. Watch the grooms right hand.
    8. Choose your background wisely. The guy walking with a headset looks out of place, exit sigh needs to go, most of the couples look bored. Next time just focus on the connection between the couple.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2010
    Thank you for all the pointers i really appreciate it! One thing i will say is for the positioning of the pics i am actually not the main photog. He was shooting them straight on so i was trying to find the best shots i could with out getting in his way. But i will for sure keep an eye on the things you said.
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    Great job for your first wedding. I mean that seriously. And I realize you weren't the primary photographer, so you were just trying to get the best angles you could. That being said, you asked for criticism...

A couple of pointers--start shooting in RAW (I'm guessing you were shooting in jpeg based on the look of the photos...but I could be wrong), at least for the outside photos. You've blown the highlights in the first photo, and that's hard to correct with jpeg.

Secondly, none of the photos wow me...they all seem like snapshots anyone with a decent SLR could take from a standing position. That's not to say the couple wouldn't like them--I'm sure they would, but they're nothing I would pay someone to take. Try moving around and changing up your position--ie, kneel, crouch, hold the camera above your head. I do not mean tilt. Tilt can look good if it's done well and if there's a good reason to use it, otherwise, I'd avoid it. Most of the time it's not called for.

Thirdly, I know you probably can't help this because you don't want to get in the way of the other photographer, but get closer. If you can't move closer, get a lens that will help you get closer. The toasting shot I think could be very interesting, but it's so far away it's hard to make out what's going on.

Lastly, watch your backgrounds--again, not much you can do if the primary is putting the couple in specific locations. But the shot with the pipes in the background is distracting...the lines are interfering with what's going on. Same with the dancing shot...background isn't complementing what's going on with the couple.

And the problem with photo #4 isn't the dress..it's that we can't see anyone's faces. Nothing like the back of people's heads to make someone loose interest in the photo. I have no idea if they're happy, if she's kissing him, if they're smiling, frowning, whatever. The photo tells me nothing except that her dress is bustled. And the way he is standing with hands down at his side tells me he's uncomfortable. I'd throw this photo out.

OK, so that was pretty harsh, I realize...but I think that's what you wanted. Again, GREAT job for it being your first wedding. I can see you are trying to capture those moments while not getting in the way of the primary... If I were second shooting, I'd try to change my position up even more. I have feeling you were standing not to far from the primary shooting at a similar angle. It would have been really neat to see a photo of the group jumping from a side angle, same with photo number 4... Don't try to get the same shots as the primary...go for different angles! That's the fun of being a second shooter!
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2010
    Here is a few more
    (this set is unedited)
    a
    4622620308_c338c335db.jpg
    b
    4622613446_4e34bcb588_b.jpg
    c
    4622613460_c06a0f9fa7_b.jpg
    d
    4622026833_c8758829fb_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2010
    The photos were originally shot in raw but the photographer gave me a disc of the pics i took and converted them to jpeg becasue of the amount of space/time it take for raw. The first photo i edited to look like that, i guess i liked it but maybe im off on it. I really have alot of work to do.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2010
    Oh and i do mean it when i say i appreciate all the comments, im realizing that i kind of suck at this so far.... I really would like to improve and get better, i have a goal of shooting pro some day. Im hoping it happens but sometimes doubt if i will be good enough.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    I just love that last one you posted! Perhaps you could try to recover some of the details in his suit. It looks like one of the last pages in an album to me, and I'd like to see a b & w version to showcase the emotion in that shot.

This isn't something you had control over as the 2nd, but.... Bringing the bridal couple much closer to the camera in # 2, the jumping shot, while leaving the rest of the bridal party where they were would have really improved that image.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    I don't think you suck at this at all.... You just need to practice with your processing, posing and composition. Very nicely done for your first wedding, so don't give up! You can make it with time and practice!

It is a mistake to convert to jpeg and work from there... you loose all of your flexibility that you gained by shooting raws. Get yourself LR or ACR and figure it out. There are great benefits. In fact, I would consider reverting to Raws and see what you can come up with.