Sidesaddle perch

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited January 19, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Another example of using 400mm to get right in. The first is a downsize from the original and the 2nd is a crop.

glcstrRckprt00oct044bird_s.jpg

glcstrRckprt00oct044bird_c.jpg

and then a shot a little further back... I don't know how happy I am with these so some likes/dislikes from the gentle readers (you can be brutal!) would help.

glcstrRckprt00oct043bird_s.jpg
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• KC ActionKC Action Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    I like the first and third images. The first because I think the composition looks good. The bird looks well in place in its environment. The third illsutrates more the bird camoflaged in its environment. If the second was sharper, it would be much more impressive, but I can understand the shallow depth of field and the obstacles in the way. Nice photo all around.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    bear in mind that I have a not-so-good monitor... I'd like the middle one best, except that it's soft. I wouldn't mind more color saturation as well.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited January 19, 2004
    With my exceedingly crude PS skills, here's a different version. Charles, please excuse me for taking these liberties, it's fun to experiment a little.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    With my exceedingly crude PS skills, here's a different version. Charles, please excuse me for taking these liberties, it's fun to experiment a little.
    Don't mind at all. Besides cropping what did you do?

Here is the 2nd one with some sharpness added for those who thought it too soft.
    edited January 19, 2004
    I'm a real PS amateur, so I try different things at random. I did a levels layer and a hue/saturation layer, then went back and toned down the green 'cause it got a little strong in the left hand strand of grass.

I like the sharper version, does it look to you like there are artifacts by the wings? In Scott Kelby's book on Photoshop for Photographers he explains how to use unsharp mask using the LAB colors. You go into channels, and work on the B&W channel... it helps get rid of artifacts.
    Sid.
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm a real PS amateur, so I try different things at random. I did a levels layer and a hue/saturation layer, then went back and toned down the green 'cause it got a little strong in the left hand strand of grass.

I like the sharper version, does it look to you like there are artifacts by the wings? In Scott Kelby's book on Photoshop for Photographers he explains how to use unsharp mask using the LAB colors. You go into channels, and work on the B&W channel... it helps get rid of artifacts.
    I used 'xv' which *probably* just does a simple Laplace matrix multiply and then adds the result to the pixels. (have not looked at the 'xv' source)
    edited January 19, 2004
    So I did one pass with unsharp mask using the lab color process.
    Sid.
    edited January 19, 2004
    This is with a second pass.
    Sid.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited January 19, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Another example of using 400mm to get right in.
    glcstrRckprt00oct043bird_s.jpg
    I like this one because it gives the idea of the bird and its surroundings.

Regarding sharpness. The couple things I do in PS is to 1) adjust the levels
    (manually) and then using an unsharp mask. Too sharp is almost not real.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?