Flash in manual + hair light: C&C Please

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited May 20, 2010 in People
My daughter informed me she liked the idea of a black b/g so I picked up some duck cloth in black and tried this out. After the fact, I realized that my fill was much to far around to CR handle some of the shadowing :bash. I used a third flash at very lower power with the diffuser plate on skimmimg overhead as the hair light.

I'd like some feedback on any other lighting faux pas that you see here. These were shot at f/5, 1/200, ISO400.

One other thing I noticed was in the lower ambient light the AF is tricky since I didn't have an AF-assist coming from my camera. What do folks do when you aren't using much ambient in the studio setting? She wanted to be moving around and doing different poses, and I missed quite a few. I figured my options were either get a flash w/ AF assist on the camera or stop down the aperture to get more forgiveness on the DOF and just lock in a good approximation of where she was jiggling about.

Processing for the most part is a masked levels adjust to get the duck cloth (which leaked some outside fading light through) to go to black.

Thanks!

Edit: Replace images w/ healthier skin tones....
872794786_9nvNa-L.jpg

872794760_Q9oqo-L.jpg

872794732_QXGry-L.jpg

872794695_WFJyu-L.jpg

872794670_iusQa-L.jpg
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    Andrew, I haven't started working with studio lighting, so the best I can offer is some general observations. Overall, the lighting looks good to me. You are getting enough shadow to show the contours of her face. The balance looks best to me in #2. In the others, the CR light looks like it could be backed off by a stop or so to give a little more facial definition. I really like black backgrounds and the way they isolate the subject. Are you using studio lights or camera strobes?

David
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback.

Right now it is just flashes with radio triggers that I have a 30-day trial period for through the local store. So, I wanted to see what I could do here. Studio strobe(s) would be nice, but I haven't taken that leap yet. Agree on the CB, 2 does look most natural, with 1 pretty close as well (IMO). 3 ended up greenish, 4 magenta and 5 yellow/orange.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited May 19, 2010
    Caspian wrote: »
    Andrew, I haven't started working with studio lighting, so the best I can offer is some general observations. Overall, the lighting looks good to me. You are getting enough shadow to show the contours of her face. The balance looks best to me in #2. In the others, the CR light looks like it could be backed off by a stop or so to give a little more facial definition. I really like black backgrounds and the way they isolate the subject. Are you using studio lights or camera strobes?

David
    Tweaked the skin tones in the original post....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    andrew this is the best portraiture work I have seen from you...just a the slightest bit hot on the last few but that just my taste
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    wow you are so going to be taking awesome wedding photos of her, one day not too long from now. her eyes are so vibrant with expression. nice job dad!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Here's what I see:
    • First, and most important, she's so cute and I know she's going to be a real looker in the not so distant future - you have been warned! :D
    • Your key light is a bit hot. I would move it back just a bit and/or dial down the power a bit ... about 1/2 stop
    • Your fill on 1, 3, 4, and 5 - just a bit hot. Looks really, really good on #2 though
    • The hair light is doing a wonderful job of separating her from the background without being too hot. I can see detail in the brightest areas of her hair so I would think you should be very happy with that.
    • #2 - by far the best of the series .... The contour modeling provided by the shadows are just about right .... not to dark and not too light. Very nicely done.
    • And, finally, like Trudy says - her eyes! Wow!
    edited May 20, 2010
    Daniel, thank you! I'll have to see if she will oblige me some more practice....

Trudy, thanks! She was having fun, which made it harder to get the focus and made the lighting a bit more random, but a happy model is much better than an oppressed/repressed one.. I need to get past her becoming Bat Mitzvah before I worry about weddings... she is, thankfully, still just 11.

Scott, thanks for the detailed feedback. I was struggling with the fill during these. Partly because she kept moving and with the lights close, she would change the ratios a bunch just by moving. I think the rest was because it was a first real attempt and I for some dumb reason had the fill at about 45-degrees instead of ~10 degrees. I guess the lesson for the movement is to suffer the lights to be a bit further away so the 1/d^2 changes aren't so dramatic. I was using reflective 60", but they were still just out of view of the camera.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site