UK Contortionist Chris Cross on Hollywood Blvd

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited May 20, 2010 in People
Well, Chris is a contortionist performer from UK who was MC'ing a burlesque show this Monday here and I did a favor for the show's producer and did some shots for him on Hollywood.

Basically, I was trying to get him some shots interacting with the crowd for environmental portraits and then maybe some headshots later.

So I used my 430EX flash off camera with a sync cord so I can keep the high speed sink (vs using radio units which does not allow high sync speed). I really didn't want to stop down in day light to get 1/200 or under to use the flash without a high speed sync, so that's why I used the sync cord. Used my stofen to soften the light (I know others say it doesn't work but my personal testing shows some slight softening vs bare flash).

I used the 15-30mm sigma for most of the shots and a Tamron 28-75 for the tight shots. Even with the ultrawide, I was able to slightly blur the background most of the time as I didn't want the distant background to be sharp. I wanted the context to be visible but not sharp as to distract/draw too much attention.

Chris didn't really know how to pose for the camera (to my surprise) and I really don't know how to pose models, so it was a bit of blind leading the blind.
Critiques welcome. Could use all the help I can get.
1. Opening/establishing shot with a shoulder dislocation at Mann's. What can I say, I'm trying to add some flare to the shot, but not really happy with this shot.
872535842_4Srvv-L.jpg

2. That's he's girlfriend in the background who is a burlesque dancer. I think she didn't know how wide the lens is and hence didn't get out of the background. I have another shot with her out of the shot but I just like Chris's expression in this shot more.
872587810_Nrtda-L.jpg

3. Chris is now drawing a bit of a crowd doing card tricks.
872601199_ppc9v-M.jpg

4. Another interacting with the crowd shot.
867364350_dw4SX-M.jpg

5. Trying for a more environmental portrait shot.
867365120_c4PtR-L.jpg

6. Just showing his deck of cards.
872578256_ePnfs-L.jpg

7. Trying a more moody look with Rembrandt lighting, light from top left going down across right for a more dramatic look.
872677754_uQx43-M.jpg

Entire Series

Comments

• dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    I like the sun stars with the fill flash. Great job
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Thanks,
    I don't do a lot of portraits but wanted to do that and see.
    Having some real strobes would help out more but hey, you live and learn I guess.
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    I am not one that usually tells another photographer how they should compose their shots. Since you asked and I like your shots I would like to suggest just re-cropping some of your shots to rid of some distractions.

Shot #1~ Crop out a little of the rt side and negative space on top.

Shot#2 ~ The girlfriend's look helps this shot and is the reason why I love it. It just adds the extra jazz the fills the frame and gives it personality.

Shot #3 ~ Crop out some of the left side to get rid of the ladies purse and whatever is further left of that. Straighten the picture a little so the background of buildings aren't off cantor.

Shots #4 thru #7 are great as they are.

Thanks again for sharing this series of pictures.....I like what you tried and succeeded to accomplish. It is not easy to take pics of someone that depends on your to pose them. You will just have to learn over time to allow them to act out their own personalities and try to capture it. This way it will look organic, real and capturing for your viewers
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Great job, I LOVE 2, it is perfect with the girlfriend and guitar in background. 3 and 4 have a lot of energy, love the light on his face in 3 , and the perspective of his fingers ,love the expression on the face in the foreground in 4 on right. Very nice job, thank you for posting.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Thanks for the input, do appreciate it.