GoPro HD Naked and Singapore

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited May 24, 2010 in Cameras
Traveling to Singapore in a couple of months, I want to buy a GoPro HD HERO Naked.

I ask if anyone has such a camera to post his/her opinion about it and - if you are in Singapore or have been any experience on buying photographic material locally - please give me your advice and tips :)

I will go to Orchard Road as everybody does, I suppose. :D

Thank you :D
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    Traveling to Singapore in a couple of months, I want to buy a GoPro HD HERO Naked.

I ask if anyone has such a camera to post his/her opinion about it and - if you are in Singapore or have been any experience on buying photographic material locally - please give me your advice and tips :)

I will go to Orchard Road as everybody does, I suppose. :D

Thank you :D

I bought a gopro HD helmet cam a few months ago and have put it to good use in my van and on a few mountain adventures . I added a section to my blog about it . http://thephotovan.blogspot.com/2010/02/photovan-gets-helmet-cam.html

These are a few still images taken on my adventure around Ruapehu , and Tongariro ...

zTongariro0012.jpg

z24hrchalnge097.jpg

z24hrchalnge204.jpg

There is also a video clip on that site from it .

Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    bowdown.gif Desmond. :D
    Nice of you to post these images shot with that camera.
    I saw the video and I found it to be very well done.
    :Dbowdown.gif
    edited May 21, 2010
    bowdown.gif Desmond. :D
    Nice of you to post these images shot with that camera.
    I saw the video and I found it to be very well done.

Thanks ! It's a 5 meg still camera and the image quality isn't perfect but if you're not selling the images who cares - it's the effect that is good [ wide angle lens ]
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .
    edited May 22, 2010
    Desmond wrote: »
    Thanks ! It's a 5 meg still camera and the image quality isn't perfect but if you're not selling the images who cares - it's the effect that is good [ wide angle lens ]

Yes it is :D
    Tell me please: when you take pictures the shutter emits any sound ?
    Or is it absolutely silence ?
    edited May 22, 2010
    Yes it is :D
    Tell me please: when you take pictures the shutter emits any sound ?
    Or is it absolutely silence ?

I'm not sure if you can switch sound off - it is quite a basic interface with strange letters and numbers but it makes one beep when you press the shutter and a second later it actually takes the pictures and emits three beeps to let you know it worked . When it is in its waterproof housing the sounds are a bit muted of course .

zhcam009.jpg

zhcam002.jpg
    edited May 22, 2010
    bowdown.gifthumb.gifD
    And ... one more detail :D:D

Than the shutter lag is about one second ?
    Or am I misunderstanding ?:D

bowdown.gif
    edited May 22, 2010
    bowdown.gifthumb.gifD
    And ... one more detail :D:D

Than the shutter lag is about one second ?
    Or am I misunderstanding ?:D

bowdown.gif

Yep , real slow shutter lag . It's not exactly meant as a stills camera but because it is so light and has the waterproof casing , along with the very wide lens , it goes with me into the mountains now - shutter lag isn't an issue with landscape shots .
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 22, 2010
    I have the "standard" and have been pretty happy with it. And at the price, it's almost a no brainer.

I've stuck it on the motorcycle and ridden with it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited May 22, 2010
    Yep , real slow shutter lag . It's not exactly meant as a stills camera but because it is so light and has the waterproof casing , along with the very wide lens , it goes with me into the mountains now - shutter lag isn't an issue with landscape shots .

bowdown.gif Desmond :D
    As I want only to shoot photography I consider this solution to be a bad one because I have two SLRs and a G9.mwink.gif
    bowdown.gif for the trouble caused. It was very kind of you. :D
    edited May 22, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    I have the "standard" and have been pretty happy with it. And at the price, it's almost a no brainer.

I've stuck it on the motorcycle and ridden with it.

Thank you Ian ! :D
    edited May 22, 2010
    bowdown.gif Desmond :D
    As I want only to shoot photography I consider this solution to be a bad one because I have two SLRs and a G9.mwink.gif
    bowdown.gif for the trouble caused. It was very kind of you. :D
    Understood - I wouldn't buy one for still photography alone , as you can see in the first image there is the occasional purple band with bright light as well .
    edited May 23, 2010
    Understood - I wouldn't buy one for still photography alone , as you can see in the first image there is the occasional purple band with bright light as well .

bowdown.gifDesmond. I saw it but forgot to mention. :D
    bowdown.gifD:D
  • waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    I have the earlier version of the GoPro and have enjoyed it except for the battery experience. It just 'EATS' batteries! I see the new one is packaged with a rechargeable unit that is supposed to last for over 2 hours. Have you experienced this?

Also, on Amazon's reviews, a lot of users are complaining about a 'glitch' at the 29 minute point when shooting video. Have you experienced this at all?

Appreciate the info you've provided. Thanks Desmond!

Wayne in Oregon
    edited May 23, 2010
    waygard33 wrote: »
    I have the earlier version of the GoPro and have enjoyed it except for the battery experience. It just 'EATS' batteries! I see the new one is packaged with a rechargeable unit that is supposed to last for over 2 hours. Have you experienced this?

Also, on Amazon's reviews, a lot of users are complaining about a 'glitch' at the 29 minute point when shooting video. Have you experienced this at all?

Appreciate the info you've provided. Thanks Desmond!

Wayne in Oregon

As a test when I was driving to the mountains one night to do Tongariro I set it up on the dashboard of my van and set it to take a picture every 30 seconds . The battery ran flat after 2 hours 45 minutes .
    I'm not sure how long it would last with video running though .
    I've never ran the video longer than about 5 minutes so wouldn't know about the glitch .
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    I based in Singapore currently. The GeoPro seems not on any shelf of camera shops yet. I may need to update myself again.

My usual photo gear supplier is Cathay Photo located in Marina Square or Peninisula plaza or John 3:16 at Funan Centre. Orchard road is a tourist area for consumers only.

Singapore dollar strengthen a bit again the US dollar. Getting the toys from Singapore may not save too much. I did the opposite way, will go to US to buy some gear in July.

You can claim the 7% GST if the goods is more than 400 Sing Dollar.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/