Options

Adding Google Analytics to your SmugMug Site

2»

Comments

• Options
    DougGDougG Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Site Search for Google Analytics
    My question is whether I can get internal search statistics for my site through Google Analytics.
    I don’t know what search engine SmugMug has provided, but I have it enabled on my homepage, and linked to a page via EZC navbar.

Here are Google’s instructions for setting up site search:
    https://www.google.com/support/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?answer=75817&hl=en_US
    I don’t know how to answer the questions below:
    Do Track Site Search
    Don't Track Site Search

Query Parameter (required):
    Use commas to separate multiple parameters (5 max)

Yes, strip query parameters out of URL [?]
    No, do not strip query parameters out of URL

Do you use categories for site search?
    Yes No

Thanks in advance for any guidance on whether this is possible, and worth pursuing.
  • Options
    SmugMugUserSmugMugUser Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Ok. So after reading through all these posts I sill don't understand what the point is in using GA, especially if it's going to track my own hits while I'm logged in? I've already created a filter to not collect hits from my IP address. But this is a problem since there are more than just me living where I live and I have guests that come and all these people may jump online from my home and check my photo's; I would like those hits to be recognized.
    --Brandon
    http://goo.gl/M1bEN (Link to my SmugMug site is shortened since it has my name in it and I would prefer that none of these forum pages show up on Google when my name is searched.)
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    Ok. So after reading through all these posts I sill don't understand what the point is in using GA, especially if it's going to track my own hits while I'm logged in? I've already created a filter to not collect hits from my IP address. But this is a problem since there are more than just me living where I live and I have guests that come and all these people may jump online from my home and check my photo's; I would like those hits to be recognized.

I am new to this whole area of analytics myself, but I see the two sources (SmugMug statistics and Google Analytics) as complementing one another.
    I really value SmugMug statistics - would not want to live without them.
    But if you want to understand the sources of your website traffic, i.e. what keywords are being used to find (Google) your site, then a tool like Google Analytics is needed. I enjoy learning from both tools, recognizing that each has limitations.

There is no charge for Google Analytics, and SmugMug has made it a snap to implement, so why not?:ivar
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    Google Webmaster Tools - How do I add my Smugmug site?
    I am looking for guidance on adding Google's Webmaster Tools for my SmugMug website (in addition to Google Analytics, which I have already done...).

I tried the owner verification option of "Linking to my Google Analytics account", but that did not work.

I am thinking that the option of "Adding a Meta tag to my site's homepage" might work. The Google code must be inserted in the <head> section, befor e the <body> section. So, it looks like I should use Advanced Site-wide customization to add the meta tag in the "Head Tag" section.

Can anyone verify that for me?
    Is anyone using Google Webmaster Tools with their SmugMug site, and receiving benefit from doing that?

Here is the link to Google's instructions:
    https://www.google.com/webmasters/verification/home?

My website is: http://www.douglasgoodphotography.com/
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    DougG wrote: »
    I am looking for guidance on adding Google's Webmaster Tools for my SmugMug website (in addition to Google Analytics, which I have already done...).

I tried the owner verification option of "Linking to my Google Analytics account", but that did not work.

I am thinking that the option of "Adding a Meta tag to my site's homepage" might work. The Google code must be inserted in the <head> section, befor e the <body> section. So, it looks like I should use Advanced Site-wide customization to add the meta tag in the "Head Tag" section.

Can anyone verify that for me?
    Is anyone using Google Webmaster Tools with their SmugMug site, and receiving benefit from doing that?

Here is the link to Google's instructions:
    https://www.google.com/webmasters/verification/home?

My website is: http://www.douglasgoodphotography.com/
    Yes, you add a meta tag to the head section in the advanced customization.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    Yes, you add a meta tag to the head section in the advanced customization.

Thanks, John.
    I'm good to go with Webmaster Tools.
  • Options
    peter vooijspeter vooijs Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    i follows the instructions one question do i have to remove this lines also
    from
    Head Tag (optional & advanced)

<meta name="google-site-verification"

and
    SmugMug Footer to Show

<meta name="google-site-verification"

i have removed the javascript
    after a view days Google Analytics is not working on smugmug site i see 740 visitors and on Google Analytics >site 30 visitors
    i remove java script and the rest from smugmug Andy can you help me out.

thanks
  • Options
    felipequintellafelipequintella Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 19, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    it's not pointless. My ISP hasn't changed my IP in 3+ years.

I'm sorry to bring this up, but I don't have static IP, and would really appreciate an option to exclude statistics from GA when I'm logged in! Also, I want to have statistics when other people on my network visit my website... IP filtering is not the best one...

I don't think it should be that difficult to add this one option to the tracking code! You guys are great, but not having this is really messing with my analytics!

Please, add this...
    Thank you!
  • Options
    carsonwcarsonw Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Does this new method support the new analytics api's? Since I changed over analytics isn't showing much happening on my site while state counter is showing a large increase. Actually I don't care much for the latest changes in analytics anyway, it seems like when Google Makes "improvements" they go in the Hong direction. But just wondering about the discrepency between the two services.

Thanks
    Carson
    http://carsonwilcox.com
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2012
    I use multiple free stats services so I get a realistic picture of what's going on. Analytics has changed code over the years, so I'd look at that too.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    birdsterbirdster Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2013
    Hi I've followed all the instructions outlined to get GA working but nothing is happening for me, I've entered the correct tracking id, but nothing happens, GA doesnt see the code in the page and on looking at the 'page source' in a browser I can't see any code any where for GA ?? anybody have any idea ??
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2013
    birdster wrote: »
    Hi I've followed all the instructions outlined to get GA working but nothing is happening for me, I've entered the correct tracking id, but nothing happens, GA doesnt see the code in the page and on looking at the 'page source' in a browser I can't see any code any where for GA ?? anybody have any idea ??

It will take a couple of days minimum before GA finds the tracking code and starts displaying analytics.

Michael
  • Options
    birdsterbirdster Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    It will take a couple of days minimum before GA finds the tracking code and starts displaying analytics.

Michael

Thanks for the info Michael :)
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2013
    My pleasure! Please feel free to follow up here or email help@smugmug.com if it still is not working next week.

Thanks!

Michael