Infected With Bandini....Will Antibiotics Help?

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited May 24, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Probably not. I'm told that once Bandini gets in your blood, you're a goner. I guess I'm a goner.

I'd never seen a Bandini before. This one is a 1956 Bandini Barchetta and it was one of five ( all different ) at the show. The first impression is how small they are. I thought that they were, perhaps, 3/4 or 7/8 scale racers.....you know, almost like real big toys. These things , though, are SERIOUS race cars. They are all built by a guy named Bandini, out of Italy. He made these racers from 1946 through 1988. His total production over the years was only 73 cars, 46 of which remain. This one is powered by a Crosley engine. Other engines were also used, most notably Fiat.

This very car was ordered by, and built for, Alex Raymond. Mr. Raymond was the originator of the Flash Gordon comic strip. Unfortunately, he was killed in a car accident before this car was delivered. His wife immediately put it into long-term storage. In the 70's, it was purchased and raced with an enviable record of victories. It was recently restored and sent over to this show from Germany for display.

874137401_FQj47-XL.jpg

874137272_8kKoM-XL.jpg

874143600_3f4kD-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    :D Might try the placebos first. They work amazing well for me most times. :D

The reds are coming across really nice in your thoughtful compositions.

Wonderful little racer. Would love to drive something like that in a heartbeat.
    Michael
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    Wow Tom you really have a way with Reds. That car almost looks like the one my son and I whittled for the soap box derby when he was in cub scouts. It was red too :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    You've been misinformed, Tom. Yes, once infected there's no cure, but who would want to be cured? ne_nau.gif

Keep the beautiful photos coming! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Ditto on the reds, Tom--gorgeous color! I always enjoy your car shots.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Hey Michael,

I'm with you, brother. I'd love to spend a little time on the track with this Bandini. Thanks for the kind remarks.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited May 22, 2010
    Hi Jack,

Thanks for your nice words. I credit this fantastic Tokina lens for capturing these cars in their real color and accurately showing them as I see them. Their colors are stunning and I'm happy to be able to pass the images along that way.

Be well my friend,

Tom
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Nice shot, Tomclap.gif.........I love to have a ride in it with Lorenzo Bandini at the wheel ..... Do you remember him.. I saw him race at Watkins Glen in the 60s gary
    edited May 22, 2010
    Hi Lee,

Amen to that, buddy. Who would want to get cured from liking these cars. Thanks so much for your support.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    edited May 22, 2010
    Hi Lauren,

I appreciate your kind remarks. I seem to remember that you were hoping to get in some cars shots at a show or two. Anything develop to that?

Be well,

Tom
    edited May 22, 2010
    Yo Gary,

I knew of Bandini but never had the opportunity to see him race in person. I was also aware that he created a unique assortment of beautiful race cars that enjoyed quite a lot of success. Until this show, though, I had never seen one of his cars. And, lo and behold, I suddenly had five of the jewels to savor at one time. If I'm not mistaken, this was one of the largest gatherings of these rare cars in recent times.

Take care,

Tom
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Yo Gary,

I knew of Bandini but never had the opportunity to see him race in person. I was also aware that he created a unique assortment of beautiful race cars that enjoyed quite a lot of success. Until this show, though, I had never seen one of his cars. And, lo and behold, I suddenly had five of the jewels to savor at one time. If I'm not mistaken, this was one of the largest gatherings of these rare cars in recent times.

Take care,

Tom
    I believe the driver Bandini and the Bandini that designed and built race cars are different guys.....The driver Bandini raced Formula 1 cars and was killed in the late 60s ....In his day he was one of the best......gary
    edited May 22, 2010
    Hey Gary,

You're right....they're two different guys. Llario Bandini was the one who designed and built the cars. However, he was also an accomplished driver.... but he never raced in Formula 1. Llario Bandini continued to build cars up until 1988.

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    Hi Tom-

There was a classic car show the day after I returned from visit to Alabama, but I was too exhausted to go. Mother-in-law had surgery and it was a stressful time, so rest had to come before cars. :-) Maybe after we return from Alaska. Thanks for asking. PM sent too.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com