Anyone put their work up in local restaurants for sale?

cal_geckocal_gecko Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited May 22, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I've noticed in more and more local restaurants that they have work from local artists up on the walls. I'm thinking about going this route to increase my exposure and potential sales of some of my more artistic work. Has anyone done this - if so, are there any recommended guides for pricing and sharing profit with the restaurant?
Canon 5D MkIII
Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Sennheiser MKE400 shotgun Mic

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    My 2 cents worth....................ask the manager, and / or the artist if they ever sell anything. That will give you a hint of how successful this is in your area.

Sam
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    It depends on the places and practices in your area - you'll probably just have to ask around. While galleries always take a significant cut since art is the only way they make any money, since cafes and restaurants are not run by those in the art industry their requirements vary widely. Some places said they take 40% or 50% while I've had others tell me I can keep all proceeds because I'm doing them a favor by putting art on the walls. The attitude can depend on whether the place is run by a chain with a gallery-wise person who specifically curates art, or it's a mom-and-pop place where they don't know and don't care about art world pricing structures.

I've never sold a lot though. I do it for exposure, not for primary revenue, otherwise I'd starve...
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    I have put up shows at several local locations for the past 3 years...we have filled the Bank of the Arts with a hundred nice pieces of photographic work from a dozen photographers...all most all of them go back home.

I have been involved with the photography industry for the last 8 or 9 years and have been president of our local photo club for the past three years. It's been my experience that no matter how good the work is...photo images are a hard sell. I've seen restaurants that have local photography on their walls. And, at least around here, most of it goes back home with the artist.

Where I live, there isn't much interest in paying $100 or more for a nice framed piece of photographic art.

Larger metropolitan areas, or areas that have a viable art community seem to do better.

On the other hand, if you are looking for exposure...and not sales...then this is probably a good idea...but try to get your work into a restaurant that has clientèle that can afford what you would intend to charge for your work.J
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • cal_geckocal_gecko Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Good tips... thanks! I'm thinking about it more from the 'exposure' aspect than revenue. I'm thinking some of my automotive shots would do well in some of the more 'hip' places in downtown Sacramento .... gotta go do some scouting!

Thanks again.
    Canon 5D MkIII
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
    Canon 17-40 f/4L
    Sennheiser MKE400 shotgun Mic