Options

Client wants a pano... of his menu. Good or bad idea?

chester17chester17 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 24, 2010 in Technique
Recently, I got a request to resize a large menu from a local pizza place. Right now, his menu does not fit the mounts on this wall. This mount is 17x34ft and has 5-6 sections.

He wants me to take a panoramic photo of his current menu, touch it up if needed, and then cut it specifically to fit the 5-6 sections for printing.

Do you think a panoramic image would suit this job best?

Do you think using illustrator and starting from scratch would better suit his needs?

What do you guys think? Let me know, please!

Comments

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    To my read of this question it seems like a flatbed scan of the menu and reprint might be better. Or the other question is does he have the source files available?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 23, 2010
    Sounds like a job for Illustrator to me, if his menu is primarily text. If his menu has images, the photographic copying and rendering may be required.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    astrostuastrostu Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    I agree with pathfinder -- assuming it's mostly text, I would almost say re-do it in Word. ;) But seriously, I think taking a photo of a mostly text menu is more trouble than it's worth.

Otherwise, yes, probably you would need to do a panorama. And you will almost definitely need to do some warping and skewing in Photoshop in order to make it rectilinear with the same original proportions again (said from experience of photographing large paintings).

Body: Canon 350D, Canon 7D
    Lenses: Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-4.5, Quantaray 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, Quantaray 600-1000mm f/9.6-16
    Flashes: Canon 430EX, Canon 580EX II