Options

Goodbye to film cameras??? UK News

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited October 24, 2011 in The Big Picture
Copied from DPReview:

dixons_logo.gifUK high street retailer Dixons has announced today that it plans to stop selling 35mm cameras, following the huge surge in popularity of their digital equivalents. Dixons reports that sales of digital cameras are now outstripping sales of 35mm cameras by 15 to 1 and it says that it will not stock any more 35mm cameras once the current stock runs out. The company says film is now an 'increasingly niche market' and Bryan Magrath, marketing director at Dixons, says that "digital cameras are now the rule, rather than the exception".

Wow! Times change fast!:tough Gotta be good news for smugmug leadership.
john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    35mm yes, but until digital backs for medium format come down, that format will be around for awhile.

I think you'll see a huge influx of film enthusiats and just like vinyl records a resurgance every few years in purchasing film and film cameras with many niche outfits filling the void.

Film will always be around, but as a niche market only.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Pro's still buy film the problem is consumers don't and have no reason too really. It will stay around though and just mean that those of us who use it from time to time can charge more for it. :Dthumb.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    I agree with Dragon, keyword here is "niche market"!
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Copied from DPReview:

dixons_logo.gifUK high street retailer Dixons has announced today that it plans to stop selling 35mm cameras, following the huge surge in popularity of their digital equivalents. Dixons reports that sales of digital cameras are now outstripping sales of 35mm cameras by 15 to 1 and it says that it will not stock any more 35mm cameras once the current stock runs out. The company says film is now an 'increasingly niche market' and Bryan Magrath, marketing director at Dixons, says that "digital cameras are now the rule, rather than the exception".

Wow! Times change fast!:tough Gotta be good news for smugmug leadership.

Dixons are pretty much cr@p anyway. Bad service and pricey at the best of times.
    I think a few other large co's will follow suit which in turn should really strengthen business for the smaller local independant's. Which can only be a good thing.
    However, this is coming from someone who has used a film camera probably no more than three or four times in his life! So what do i know, i'm just a 34 year old 'digital' child. :D
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    I agree with the thoughts of your replies. thumb.gif

I posted the thread in amusement to the comments I heard from "pros" just a mere 5-10 years ago - that film is here to stay and that digital will be the niche market. Now I know that there are many professional photogs who swear by film and I applaud their craftmanship and dedication to tradition. But i feel that the balance scales have tipped toward digital solutions for nearly all photographic applications - flexability, control, desktop "darkroom". and instant review of one's work. Love it!

My background: owned a small portrait studio 1978-1983 and was a partner in an "early adapter" one-hour photo business 1885 (two locations). Gave up photography as a business in the mid-to-late '80s but the digital age has brought me back to the "fun of shooting".

:photo
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    CodyBoxerCodyBoxer Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    Re: Goodbye to film
    I dropped off a roll of color film for processing about two months ago. There had been a one-hour photo processing facility there, but it was now gone. I had to wait for one of the floor managers to free himself and accept my film. Estimated return date was 7 to 10 days. eek7.gif
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    I pay $5 a roll for developing (c41, negatives only) which takes about 2 hours. I am happy to support my local shop and hope that they stay in business forever because I still love to shoot film once in a while.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    WerewolfWerewolf Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    Eventually, probably IMO within the next 5 to 10 years, digital technology will exceed the capabilities of the the finest films in all respects.

When that happens film will go the way of the dodo, buggy whips and all else that has been surpassed by either evolution or the ever improving technology courtesy of mankind's boundless ingenuity.
  • Options
    SlightlyPearShapedSlightlyPearShaped Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Werewolf wrote: »
    Eventually, probably IMO within the next 5 to 10 years, digital technology will exceed the capabilities of the the finest films in all respects.

When that happens film will go the way of the dodo, buggy whips and all else that has been surpassed by either evolution or the ever improving technology courtesy of mankind's boundless ingenuity.

I'm not convinced that will happen. While I don't use film myself, there's something about it that is just alluring. The comparison to vinyl is a good one. It sees a strong resurgence every few years and not just amongst DJ's (who don't even need them anymore thanks to Final Scratch but still do), but also in that certain % of people who enjoy collecting. I know quite a few young vinyl enthusiasts who have moderate to large collections who also own it all in superior quality flac/mp3 on their ipods ect.

Even with software readily available to downgrade your shots to look like they were taken on old equipment, but that doesn't duplicate the enjoyment of using the gear.

The market for the equipment will shrink but I doubt it will disappear entirely.