RAW and processed file synchronization - help!!!

PoovaPoova Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited May 23, 2010 in Finishing School
Does anyone know of a better way to synchronize .raw and developed (.jpg, .tiff, etc.) files?

Here's my workflow now....

1) Process RAW images... processed images are put in a subfolder of the RAW image set

2) Review the processed images and delete the images I don't want to keep

3) Using Total Commander, I navigate to the subfolder containing the processed image files, select those files, and save the selection as a .txt file

4) Using notepad or any other .txt editor, I do a search and replace on the .txt file searching for *.jpg and replacing it with *.cr2 (I'm shooting Canon bodies) and save the resulting text file

5) I navigate to the RAW folder in Total Commander and load the text file I created previously as a selection

6) I then invert the selection (using Total Commander) and delete the resulting list of selected RAW files

7) I then create a folder named after the event I imaged, make a subfolder in that folder named RAW, cut & paste the RAW images to the new RAW subfolder, and cut & paste the developed images to the new folder.

Whew! What I end up with is a folder "[Event Name Here]" containing only the processed images that I want to keep with a subfolder "RAW" containing only the corresponding RAW images.

Is there a program or set of scripts that will automate steps 3 through 7? I'd like to be able to do the operations to many folders at once like a batch file.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Comments

• basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    i dont convert [process] RAW
    i use FASTONE IMAGE VIEWER
    it can read a lot of raw-types
    and , its freeware

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    I keep my raw and jpg files in the same folder for any given shooting session. This makes it easy to delete the raw and jpg at the same time for any shot I decide doesn't make the grade. It seems to me that the source of your trouble is the fact that you keep the raws and jpgs in separate folders.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    It looks like a ton of unnecessary work to me.....I shoot raw (nef) import into LR2 save as dng....process the dng...save the jpg to same folder done............I still have dng and raw and jpg in 1 folder named for my event, client or whatever the reason I am shooting..............when aI save the dng the raw is embedded into it in case i want to mess with it and not the dng later on which will result in another dng with embeded raw and jpg that goes into a special folder of special processed images......where the crazy stuff might happen.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    I also go with LightRoom to do my management and synchronization. It will allow for the viewing and sorting of images, the creation of JPGs when needed, I have stopped saving the JPGs as I can recreate them very quickly using LightRoom. It allows me to keep my images and edits in sync and in one central location to view and critique. Also when I do decide to edit in PhotoShop the items stay in sync.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    You might also want to explore the new Publish functionality in Lightroom 3. When you edit a Raw, it knows it's been modified, so you can always see exactly which images need to be synced ("re-published") to JPG. I don't know if it can use the same folder for originals and exports, but I never liked working that way, myself...I like to keep raw and jpg in separate folders.
    http://lightroomsecrets.com/2009/10/lightroom-3-betas-publish-services-part-1/
  • PoovaPoova Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the really good advice - I'll give LR a go - I use primarily DxO and LR2 but I've never really liked the cataloging features of LR2. Another user on FredMiranda suggested using BreezeBrowser to cull the RAW images before conversion which may work for me.
  • malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Poova wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the really good advice - I'll give LR a go - I use primarily DxO and LR2 but I've never really liked the cataloging features of LR2. Another user on FredMiranda suggested using BreezeBrowser to cull the RAW images before conversion which may work for me.

For culling/ranking your RAW images, take a look at FastPictureViewer:

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/
  • PoovaPoova Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2010
    malch wrote: »
    For culling/ranking your RAW images, take a look at FastPictureViewer:

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/

Wow! Looks great.... I'm getting it now. Thanks malch!