Springtail on Azalia Stamen

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited May 23, 2010 in Holy Macro
Not the best quality image but I was trying to take the shot with a Sigma 105 and 68mm of extension tubes. The springtail was about 2mm in length and I had nothing to balance the camera on.

Still, quite pleased with the result. :)
I think it was eating the pollen.

875212820_HTRoH-O.jpg

1/200th @F9, ISO 100

Comments

• PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Well that was a real challenge and it was worth it. Terrific DOF too. You have done really well to get this hand heldclap.gif
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Thank you Peter. Much appreciated.

It certainly is a tough challenge. Trying not to pass out when holding my breath and even the slightest movement knocks focus out. I relied on breathing into the focus point :)
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    IPClark wrote: »
    Thank you Peter. Much appreciated.

It certainly is a tough challenge. Trying not to pass out when holding my breath and even the slightest movement knocks focus out. I relied on breathing into the focus point :)

The narrow DOF is a real challenge for macro shooting. What I have learnt is to switch the camera into C-AF mode (AF-C in some camera terminologies). The focussing is still carried out with a half-press of the shutter but is only finalised with a full press. I have found that the camera is then more likely to keep the subject in focus despite the slight movement as you press the shutter home. Sorry if this is something you already know/do but I thought it worth mentioning.
    edited May 22, 2010
    No it's fine Peter. Whilst in manual, I do hold the shutter half way down and you get the audible/visual alert of focus. It's that bit I wait for :).
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Good capture- amazing where you do find these tiny springtails.
    Brian v.
    edited May 23, 2010
    Certainly is Brian. I was attempting an abstract on the bottle brush when I turned my attention to the stamen on the Azalia. I hadn't even seen the springtail until I look through the viewfinder :)