Wood 'n Stone

R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
edited May 25, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Just outside Cygnet (south of Hobart, Tasmania) there was a small boat repair yard - there was a yatch undergoing a major overhaul. It was made out of the best boat building timber available - Huon Pine. I hope they leave it unpainted this time.

4608371969_38f142f948_b.jpg

Steal a handkerchief in England in the late 1700's and you got sent to Australia - mess up again and you got sent to Tasmania - mess up a third time and you got sent to Sarah Island in Maquarie Harbour on the west coast (Strahan). Here the convicts started from scratch, quarrying sandstone and making lime to mix with sand for cement by crushing oyster shells and burning them. This is a section of the wall of the old penitentiary. I really liked the colouring and texture of the old stone.

4628619651_094d319c80_b.jpg

Thanks for looking - C&C always appreciated.

Cheers, Richard.

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Nice colors...Richard......That is and interesting back story. I never heard of Huon Pine...so I looked it up. The article said some specimens of the tree are over 2000 years old....That is old:D As for prisoners building their own housing in the 1700... we still do that here in Arizona. I have worked on several prison construction project... where prisoners were used to build their own dorms.....:D

WELL DONE ...Richard azzaro
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Agreed. Interesting back history and both pictures are very neat also.

Huon Pine. Looks to be perfectly clear wood. High Quality. The read on the
    net about it nice to take in.

Steal a handkerchief... :D Gads. rolleyes1.gif
    Fairly cheap passage to Australia and on the job training.
    Michael
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    I 3rd it on the interesting story behind the photos. Are those pegs in the boat or does the wood come looking like that? I agee...I hope they don't paint over the wood. It's beautiful.

Never knew they used Oyster shells to make cement. Each brick looks so totally different from the other one. One could look at each photo for a long time just taking in all the different shapes/textures.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Great textures on the stones
    Randy
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    Hi Azzaro / Michael / Mary, Thank you for your feedback - glad you liked the 'history lesson' as well as the photo's :D Tasmania is a fantastic place to visit. Currently reading a book called Bloodlust (true story) about a group of convicts who escaped from Sarah Island - only one made it back to Hobart - survived by turning to cannibalism !! The wooden 'pins' on the boat are used to hold boards in place.

Azzaro - sounds like you have worked on some interesting jobs in your life.

Cheers, Richard.
    edited May 24, 2010
    Hi Randy, glad you like the shot of the bricks - sandstone does have some interesting weathering patterns.

Cheers, Richard.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    Love the colors and textures in both of these. That old boat has been scraped down and repaired many times over the years. Nice work.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited May 25, 2010
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Love the colors and textures in both of these. That old boat has been scraped down and repaired many times over the years. Nice work.

Hi Jack, I guess if a boat is well built from the start - the odd bit of maintenance keeps it in good working order.

Cheers, Richard.