Are these programs scary for a vista pc?

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited May 24, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I’m running a Vista pc and its had many problems of late. My computer guy that built it said it’s because I run ‘scary’ programs. The programs are Firefox, Spyder monitor calibrator, Capture NX and iTunes. Surely these main stream programs wouldn’t be the cause for the pc problems ; freeze, lockup, occasional blue screen? Anyone have issues with these on their pc? :dunno
Thanks much!
Eia

Comments

• NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Eia wrote: »
    I’m running a Vista pc and its had many problems of late. My computer guy that built it said it’s because I run ‘scary’ programs. The programs are Firefox, Spyder monitor calibrator, Capture NX and iTunes. Surely these main stream programs wouldn’t be the cause for the pc problems ; freeze, lockup, occasional blue screen? Anyone have issues with these on their pc? ne_nau.gif
    Thanks much!
    Eia

FireFox??? ROFLMBO rolleyes1.gif

Time for a new PC guy. Most of us that moved to FireFox did so because it was a more secure browser than that really scary piece of software called Internet Explorer.

The only one there that has been a problem for me has been iTunes. It won't let our home XP computer boot if it is plugged into a USB port, even if the USB port is not on the list of boot devices.

I won't install it on my Vista photo PC.

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Your computer guy certainly has great technical aplomb, but I suggest that it's your technical guy that is scary, not your programs. :D

Sam
  • rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Newsy wrote: »
    The only one there that has been a problem for me has been iTunes. It won't let our home XP computer boot if it is plugged into a USB port, even if the USB port is not on the list of boot devices.

You mean it won't boot if your iPod is plugged in? That's different from iTunes causing problems...

To the OP, the types of problems you are having are almost always (over 99% in my experience) caused by one of two things: Bad hardware or bad drivers. The programs you list are in no way "scary". It really sounds like you need a new computer guy!
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 23, 2010
    iTunes is an absolute dog on Windows, but it should not be crashing your machine. I concur that you need a new computer guy.
    edited May 23, 2010
    rsquared wrote: »
    You mean it won't boot if your iPod is plugged in? That's different from iTunes causing problems...!

Exactly.... thank you for filling in the blanks and clarifying this.

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Thanks All for the affirmation. I didn't think the programs were the culprit. I suspect running only 4 RAM has a lot to do with it...and of course it being Vista. I'm searching for a thread I read on color calibration and its differences with browsers but I can't seem to find it. If anyone can point me toward it that would be appreciated!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Lose the computer guy.

Buy a Mac and never worry about this stuff.
    edited May 23, 2010
    Thanks All for the affirmation. I didn't think the programs were the culprit. I suspect running only 4 RAM has a lot to do with it...and of course it being Vista. I'm searching for a thread I read on color calibration and its differences with browsers but I can't seem to find it. If anyone can point me toward it that would be appreciated!

Vista + 4M RAM should be just fine. I run Vista 64bit here with 4M RAM.

The thread you are looking for has likely been archived.

Here is some info on browsers and color management.

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html#

http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    I’m running a Vista pc and its (sic) had many problems of late. My computer guy that built it said ...

Why 'build' a computer? Would you have a 'TV guy' build you a television set? ne_nau.gif

And the supposed 'expertise' of someone who sells you Vista has to be a worry.
    Andy wrote: »
    Lose the computer guy. Buy a Mac and never worry about this stuff.

thumb.gif Great advice, of course, but people who get others to 'build' them a computer are generally concerned more with 'cheapness' than value!
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    Newsy wrote: »
    Vista + 4M RAM should be just fine. I run Vista 64bit here with 4M RAM.

Ooops. I think Newsy means 4GB of RAM. It would be amazing if one could run any modern operating system on 4M of RAM!mwink.gif

Oh, and as an IT professional who teaches "computer diagnostics" at the college level, I agree wholeheartedly with W.W.Webster!
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    Why 'build' a computer? Would you have a 'TV guy' build you a television set? ne_nau.gif

And the supposed 'expertise' of someone who sells you Vista has to be a worry.

thumb.gif Great advice, of course, but people who get others to 'build' them a computer are generally concerned more with 'cheapness' than value!

Oh not true! I used to use a Computer guy to build my stuff, and still would if I was still located there. Using a computer guy to build can save you money, or ensure that money is put towards the correct areas. Also you have the bene of not having to de-crapify your new machine loaded down with chaff, such as you might find at a retailer.

In this case though, lose the Comp guy and....

Freeze, lock-up and Blue Screen? Whew...sounds like something is incredibly wrong within the box....and prob more hardware related versus software related.

EG: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death
    tom wise
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 24, 2010
    Nothing wrong with building stuff but using the wrong parts can cause an ungodly amount of anguish. I'm also in favor of nuking the computer guy.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    Actually, the computer guy is pretty cool, very nice man. He replaced the video card and things seem fine now and I'm still running the scary programs! :~` Now to get my new monitor
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    those app's are fine
    just don't leave them open all at the same time , only the ones you need
    especially when editing photo's
    4GB RAM is maximum for 32bit pc's

if you can [ afford it ] upgrade to windows7
    way much better

if blue screen comes back
    make a note of the error code [ 0x000000number ]
    sometimes , not always , answer can be found w it