Merging dynamic range in CS2

jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
edited August 18, 2005 in Finishing School
Hello All!

Quick CS2 question:

anybody have any experience with the HDR automation? Everytime I attempt to merge some pics I get a message saying there is "not enough dynamic range to make a useful merge." I used 6 photos from -1.5ev to +2ev. Seems pretty dynamic to me...Any thoughts/suggestions higly appreciated.

-j

Comments

• jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Hello All!

Quick CS2 question:

anybody have any experience with the HDR automation? Everytime I attempt to merge some pics I get a message saying there is "not enough dynamic range to make a useful merge." I used 6 photos from -1.5ev to +2ev. Seems pretty dynamic to me...Any thoughts/suggestions higly appreciated.

-j
    NM, problem solved. You have to actually take several different pictures...you can't process the same RAW files several times and plug it in.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    In case you aren't already aware...there is at least a way to place one single RAW file as multiple smart objects at different settings; from there you can merge them manually.
    Click for article
    Note that the procedure can be automated by the script listed in the article.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    I have my own technique for this. See: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=9805
    If not now, when?
  • jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Thanks for the reply fellas. Very nice technique Rutt and I found the article you linked quite helpful colourbox!

I know there are many blending methods out there and I am familiar with some of them, but the HDR merge automation in CS2 sounded a bit like the blending holy grail when i read about it as you could display a 10 stop dynamic range with it (not that I would want 10 full stops...might look a bit excessive). It is supposed to do this all automatically and select for the best highlight/midtone/lowlight, out of several pics, with a few simple clicks.

For a moment, it sounded like the end of needing to buy filters...especially for someone like myself who only shoots landscapes occasionally...

-j