Oregon Coast

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited July 29, 2010 in Landscapes
Thanks for the comments on my Columbia Gorge photos in a previous thread. After three days in the gorge, I spent the last few days of my week in the pacific northwest up and down the Oregon coast. Here are a few shots:

Hug Point- Waterfall meets Pacific Ocean
870997406_oWeet-L.jpg

Cape Kiwanda
862642589_8LiMV-L.jpg

Seal Rocks Sunset
874551889_yMnoh-L.jpg

Seal Rocks BW
862637104_eoZwS-L.jpg

Mossbrae Falls (not really Oregon, but I stopped there, too)
865761439_3vmyR-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• ManticoreManticore Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    I'm planning a trip out there in August, but I may as well stay home - I don't think I've ever seen more beautiful photos of this area! Especially Hug Point. I've been there many times and never got such a nice shot. Very nicely done!
    - Steve

D300S, MB10, Nikon 18-70, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR, Tamron 90mm macro, Tokina 11-16 2.8, SB800

http://www.justastateofmind.com
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    Absolutely wonderful shots. Thank you for sharing them. They're all very nice, but the Cape Kiwanda is my favorite. You captured the crash of the wave at just the perfect moment and the lighting is ideal.

Mike
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Nice job! thumb.gif I know most of those locations well and think you did a great job of shooting them in your own unique style. Well done :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Stunning shots, Chris!

I'm really struggling to pick a favorite from this set, you've done a masterful job handling some tricky exposures! clap.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • astrostuastrostu Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Wow -- that Cape Kiwanda one is my favorite.

Body: Canon 350D, Canon 7D
    Lenses: Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-4.5, Quantaray 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, Quantaray 600-1000mm f/9.6-16
    Flashes: Canon 430EX, Canon 580EX II
  • LadukebobLadukebob Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Amazing shots!
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Chris - Stunning work! I've never been to the Oregon coast, but I'm sure wanting to go after seeing these shots of yours. Can't beat your images, though!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Fabulous beauty. Great job clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Outstanding photos Chris!! I really enjoyed these a lot!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Thanks for all the nice comments. The Oregon coast, at least for the few days I was there, is not a very forgiving place for photography! The skies are overcast, a burst of light may last a minute or two, and the tonality difference between the water, sea stacks, and sky is huge. I'm happy I was able to come home with a few that turned out well. THanks again.
  • ranran Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Thanks for the post< I also am planning a trip there this August . I hope I can get as much color as you , anything special I should prepare for. Can I drive my 35' RV down the coast road all the way to San Fran or will I have to park and use my tow vehicle in most places? Any advice will be helpful
    Thnaks Randall
    Randall -FINE ART : FOR OFFICE AND HOME
    branhamphoto.com
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    All outstanding, but whatever your shutter speed was for the first two, it was absolutely perfect. Long enough to smooth the water out, short enough to show plenty of motion. Well done.
    edited May 25, 2010
    run_kmc wrote: »
    All outstanding, but whatever your shutter speed was for the first two, it was absolutely perfect. Long enough to smooth the water out, short enough to show plenty of motion. Well done.

THank you. The first one was one second, my preferred shutter for motion blur with waterfalls, ocean, etc. The second I believe was 1/4 second, a little faster to catch the waves crashing.
    edited May 25, 2010
    ran wrote: »
    Thanks for the post< I also am planning a trip there this August . I hope I can get as much color as you , anything special I should prepare for. Can I drive my 35' RV down the coast road all the way to San Fran or will I have to park and use my tow vehicle in most places? Any advice will be helpful
    Thnaks Randall

Not sure I'm the best to ask, I was just there for a week. I went from Sacramento up as high as Ecola. As far as I could tell an RV shouldn't be a problem. If you had the kind of week I had, prepare to get wet!
    edited May 25, 2010
    Manticore wrote: »
    I'm planning a trip out there in August, but I may as well stay home - I don't think I've ever seen more beautiful photos of this area! Especially Hug Point. I've been there many times and never got such a nice shot. Very nicely done!

Thanks. I like the way Hug Point turned out, too. I was planning on shooting Ecola at sunset but scouted Hug Point earlier in the day and the conditions looked good. Except the tide was about a foot too high... Though you can't tell from the image I was waist deep in ocean shooting that. The photo above was third to last of over 100 frames. The light waited to the bitter end to make the falls and sky glow.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Great set Chris. The first is my favorite. The light on the waterfall is just right and really enhanced the overall picture.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    I'll chime in with the group. Nice set.........print and hang.

Sam
  • MarcyMarcy Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    I will be in that area later this summer would like to know which Hug point park entrance you went to - North or South - that is a beautiful picture would love to see the area
    edited May 27, 2010
    Marcy wrote: »
    I will be in that area later this summer would like to know which Hug point park entrance you went to - North or South - that is a beautiful picture would love to see the area

hmm, not sure. As you're going north on 101 there is a sign on the road that says Hug Point, its just before you get to the entrance of Ecola State Park. Park in the lot and walk to the right on the beach, its right there.
  • trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Absolutely epic! I love number one but I am a sucker for b&w, really like Seal Rocks BW.