edited August 18, 2005 in People
Meet Tarah, my friend from school.

5small-vi.jpg

7small-vi.jpg

tarahbody-vi.jpg

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Nice pictures, Tarah is very pretty. Let me offer you some suggestions.

1st, it looks like you were shooting in low light and without a flash. I think that is why some of your shots are soft, because they were at low shutter speeds to compensate for the lack of sufficient light, I do this all the time and don't realize it till it's too late. Try a fill flash, I bought a 580EX and I love it. It might be expensive but I think it is worth it.

2nd, the third and last shots look over Post Processed. The 3rd shot has glowing eyes. It is good to brighten and sharpen eyes but make sure when you do it it still looks natural. The last shot is a good pose but is too dark, has very dark shadows, the contrast is too high, and the white balance needs to be warmed up.

I think all the poses and composition are great. I really think the 2nd shot is great. I like the background and the texture of her hair. I also think all the colors in it go very well together. The only thing I might like to see different in it is her head not turned so far so you can see a little more of her eyes. But that is subjective, it really is good "as is".

I hope I'm not being too critical, please take this as constructive criticism and not as me bashing your work. I just think with a couple minor changes these photos could have been great.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Nice pictures, Tarah is very pretty. Let me offer you some suggestions.

1st, it looks like you were shooting in low light and without a flash. I think that is why some of your shots are soft, because they were at low shutter speeds to compensate for the lack of sufficient light, I do this all the time and don't realize it till it's too late. Try a fill flash, I bought a 580EX and I love it. It might be expensive but I think it is worth it.

Nick
    I was considering the 580, then got the sigma 500 super DG.

200$CDN cheaper, and yet every bit as powerful and full featured.

I'd second the flash comment, but consider the sigma... it's nice.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    I was considering the 580, then got the sigma 500 super DG.

200$CDN cheaper, and yet every bit as powerful and full featured.

I'd second the flash comment, but consider the sigma... it's nice.
    There have been a lot of good flash discussions in the Accesories Forum lately, I'd suggest checking it out.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • burkeburke Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    my favorite is the 4th one - big natural smile, great crop
    I think part of why it surpasses your 1st ones is the angle - it was much more effective when you were slightly higher than when you shot her at eye level.
    The last one is pretty great too, although a little blue and contrasty.. but I love the compostition
    ~Autumn